Song writing approach

thecrimsonchin said:
Haha, I like that. You're right Y'know. Too many theory-heads in these forums.

Also too many production freaks. They bother me so much. The old albums are fine, there's a lot worse out there, and some of those are fucking amazing albums too. But yeah, hibernal_dream IS right.

is he right? i think that anyone can piece together random riffs that dont form cohesive sections of a song... its just like superglueing pages of different books together, glueing on a cover and then handing it out to people to read... its a lot easier than writing each page and having it carry over into the next.

its not about a theory head... i dont really know much theory myself, and i used to just glue riffs together and while the riffs were good, the song as a whole was aweful.

now lets look at opeth and how this relates... orchid particurally people call the most random album or whatnot. i mean sure it had a lot of stops and twists and turns but for the most part the next riff made sense. in Black Rose, a lot of the riffs didnt make sense. they were incredible riffs, but they just superglued them together... its sorta obvious they were TRYING to write a 20 min long song. thats not good songwriting...

still life is the absolute best example of combining their creative riffs with good songflow.. the moor is the first thing that comes to mind, how the song so easily flows from the soothing "oooo oo oo ooo" riff near the end into the evil riff.. they did an alright job with it on bwp, but they didnt have as great of riffs to work with.

so i suppose in my conclusion, while opeth's riff creativity has gone down, they HAVE become better songwriters.