songs' order

Oct 29, 2001
a couple of weeks ago, while we were listening to deliverance, my boyfriend said that by the pain i see in others' start would make of the song a cool opening track, and i kinda agree with him.
so, i was wondering: would you change the order of the songs on deliverance? do you think it's perfect like it is? why?

the nice thing about this order is the "pyramid" the names form on the backcover.

[if you discussed about this before, here's my "i'm sorry". i really haven't had the time to read all the pages].

Good topic. I think about a lot of times on a lot of cds that if the order was different, how much of a difference would it make. Ive tried programming my own order on some stuff and its just weird.

One thing I like though, it always changing the order on Devin Townsend's "Terria," the only thing i switch is sqeezing "Earth Day" in between "the Fluke" and "Nobody's Here." I like it towards the end of the album because i always look forward to that song the most and i hate "getting it over with" at the begining. hmm i should try this on more cds that i'm familiar with for a new twist.

Originally posted by markgugs
I have nothing to add to your topic or question, I just wanted to...

SAY HELLO SWEETIE!!! ;) I hope life finds you well these days...

hi mark!!
well, you could add something on topic anyway, no? ;)
life doesn't find me particularly well today, but it does lately, thank you :)

Originally posted by IcemanJ236
hmm i should try this on more cds that i'm familiar with for a new twist.
with cd's you're familiar with it would probably sound really odd; i mean, at the end of a song your mind starts "singing" the next one and *tung* another one starts....

It is a good topic, Iceman, yes :D

The opening track is ok, I think. It's quite an "all going for it" start. It reminds me of the starts that Pantera do to their albums. But Pantera do it much better. Their openings are a lot more aggressive.
The intro to "by the pain..." is perfect for an album opening. Now, if only they'd change the singing that follows....;)

I think By The Pain I See In Others is a perfect ending track, like other Opeth ending tracks. Opeth, Tool, Alice in Chains, and King Crimson have consistently chosen the best track to end their albums with, in my opinion. Order plays a large role when I listen to a CD, which is why I never hit the random button and don't make mix CDs for myself. I am an extreme softy for concept albums though, perhaps it is this that causes my ordered way of listening to CDs.

So no, I don't think that it would make a good intro track. :D

Originally posted by Ultima Ibanez Overlord
It is a good topic, Iceman, yes :D
You don't happen to be slightly biased, do you?? :p

Anyway, song order. For Deliverance (the album), I personally don't think it matters too much. Wreath is an excellent opening track in my opinion, but I don't see why it couldn't go anywhere else. I don't know what the thing is with bands putting the title track either second or last, but it seems to be done a lot - anyway, again I don't see why Deliverance (the song) couldn't go anywhere else. I do think that A Fair Judgement shouldn't be either first or last, and that For Absent Friends is a natural follow-on from A Fair Judgement. I also thing that a song with a heavy intro should follow, and in Master's Apprentices it does - but the same could be done with Wreath or the title track. As for By the pain I see in others, I think it does seem very good as an ending track, but that's probably because I'm used to it there. The intro to it just seems fitting for the last song of an album, but I don't know why.

Having said that, now that I'm used to the song order, I'd hate to have it changed by using the random play. Like Val says, when I'm playing the song in my head, I don't want to suddenly be hearing another song that I'm not expecting instead. :p

And I'd never noticed the "pyramid" - now I'm gonna think about the song order every time I look at the track listings now. ;)

I think it's perfect just like this... but maybe I've just gotten used to it, like Rusty said, and would find it odd to be otherwise. Maybe I'd put Deliverance in the end cuz Master's Apprentices and By The Pain I See in Others aren't my favourite Opeth songs...

Originally posted by Rusty
And I'd never noticed the "pyramid" -
or maybe you did but you called it "the christmas tree" :p

Originally posted by Rusty
now I'm gonna think about the song order every time I look at the track listings now. ;)
and is it too bad?

i have the urge to say this: i love master's apprentices!