Damnation/Deliverance compilation cd help

dolphz

Black Heart
Aug 21, 2001
Elmhurst, Ill. USA
Visit site
I know this has been discussed before but-

I want to get you ideas on how to combine the best elements of Deliverance and Damnation into one single cd. As far as what the strongest songs are, what would be a good opener/closer, what songs should be left out or edited, recommended song order, ect ect.

My ideas so far:
Cut off the last 3 minutes of Deliverance
Cut off the last 4 minutes of By The Pain I See In Others
Open the cd with Master's Apprentice
Close with Ending Credits
Delete Windowpane entirely
Possibly get rid of For Absent Friends

Any other ideas??

Look I think a compilation condensing the "best" of both albums would be a great listen. Maybe a great car tape. The variations are of course endless (though maybe some smart maths dude could figure out the permutations for say a 60 minute limit) as it is an individual thing.
I would start with the opener from Damnation Windowpane and close it with the last track from Damnation, Weakness.
Second track Deliverance, well then, Masters apprentice, Death Whispered, Hope Leaves, To Rid the Disease, By the Pain I see in Others then Weakness.

Well thats one idea.
It would be an interesting listening experience and maybe Opeth themselves had thought of this who knows. But of course that would have been a double album. Hearing the heavy next to the mellow would I feel been a even more powerful artistic statement for the band.

Now thats interesting. We all go back to the lyric sheets. I mean these songs were recorded pretty much at the same time weren't they. Of course Opeth's themes of lost love etc tend to occur all the time resulting in violent ends. I need to do some reading. Good call.

"My ideas so far:
Cut off the last 3 minutes of Deliverance
Cut off the last 4 minutes of By The Pain I See In Others
Open the cd with Master's Apprentice
Close with Ending Credits
Delete Windowpane entirely
Possibly get rid of For Absent Friends
"

Wow you're taking out the best parts

dolphz said:
Has anyone noticed if there's any thematic order within the lyrics for both cds?

I think Mikael said there is no lyrical connection between Deliverance and Damnation on a review which was posted lately.

seventi said:
Are you totally out of your mind?!!! :p

Most of the time...YES.

But I still don't care for windowpane. I am getting to like Damnation (I didn't care for it at all at first), but I still have to skip Windowpane after the first couple minutes. Maybe eventually I will like it, but that's doubtful.

"The last 3 minutes of Deliverance rocks"???

I suppose if your into the same riff being repeated over and over and over again it does. I think that riff should fade out after about 30 seconds.

dolphz said:
Most of the time...YES.

"The last 3 minutes of Deliverance rocks"???

I suppose if your into the same riff being repeated over and over and over again it does. I think that riff should fade out after about 30 seconds.

Thats so amazing about the outro to Deliverance. You are just completely engulfed in this amazing riff, where time takes a back seat to atmosphere. If you truly loved that riff, you wouldn't care how long it went on.