Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
Demonspell's Songs To Watch presents
2001: The Year In Review Part One
The Readers Speak Out
As mentioned in last week’s column, my educational responsibilities, along with the lack of any major releases until early next year, prevent me from writing a normal column this week. But since this is the time that most publications turn their focus to the passing year, I have planned my most ambitious special issue yet. And my most interactive to date. Please take part in the Songs To Watch Best Of 2001 Survey, send your responses through the private message system, leave a post below, or E-mail me at demonspell@maidencentral.com

Rules for this survey are simple: Albums must be of all-new material and released after January 1, 2001, same for songs, choose between one of the ranges given. Nominees in the musicians categories must have released new material this year. Solo debuts and side projects do not count in the best debut category, but unsigned bands do. Epics must be at least eight minutes long to qualify. Weirdest song should be something you like in spite or because of its strangeness. The news categories must refer to a development in the metal community. Answer to as many or as few categories as you wish, and feel free to add your own. To avoid redundancy, limit yourself to no more than two songs from the same artist. Biggest disappointment and worst album can be the same, although my guideline would be the former be something you had high expectations for and the latter something you knew was going to suck. Biggest surprise should be the opposite, i.e. a band you previously hated coming out with a great album.

top 5/10/20 albums
top 5/10/20 songs
best vocalist
best guitarist
best bassist
best drummer
best keyboardist
best concert
best guitar solo
best riff
best produced album
best concept album
best live album
best album cover
best prog metal album
best extreme metal album
best non-metal album
most original album
most anticipated 2002 album
best instrumental
best debut
best side project
most emotional song
most intense song
weirdest song
best ballad
best epic
best lyrics (song)
best lyrics (album)
best guilty pleasure
biggest disappointment
biggest surprise
worst metal album
best personality
worst personality
best news
worst news
best band discovered through Songs To Watch

Part two of the Year in Review for 2001 will be a complete list of every album from 2001, a truly great year for all genres of metal, that I have covered in these pages, along with a brief rating. Because of my exam schedule and the time necessary to devote myself to them, not to mention this exhaustive project, the list may not be ready until the weekend before Christmas. In addition, I may include my responses to this survey. Happy holidays to all of my devoted readers, to everyone at the UM forums, and all fans of the best new music around the world!