The Best of 2001

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Hey there

OK, it's the last day of 2001. What an anti-climax this millennium has been so far, huh? Let's see what we've been able to salvage from it. What do you think has been the...

Best album -
Best song -
Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) -
Best gig -
Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music -
Best movie -
Best non-metal, top 40-style song -
Most newsworthy moment in metal -
Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items -

Answers on a postcard, or just post em here if you prefer :)

Best album - So many but lets say Gamma-Ray - No world Order!
Best song - Too so fucking many!
Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - Gamma-Ray
Best gig - Gamma-Ray in Hellsinki, In Flames @ Tuska and Tattoo the planet in Hellsinki, Rhapsody @ Tuska
Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - öö öö
Best movie - Lord Of The Rings
Best non-metal, top 40-style song - Anssi Kela - Milla (Ja vitut!!!! Only Finns do know this one!)
Most newsworthy moment in metal - öö öö cant remember nothing so special!
Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items - George W Bush says " ATTACK!! " :p

Best album - System of a Down, "Toxicity"
Best song - Sonata Arctica, "The End of This Chapter"
Best band - *shrug*
Best gig - Robbie Williams
Biggest surprise - System of a Down. I had no idea they were so good! Just goes to show that I should open my mind a bit more sometimes.
Best movie - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Best non-metal song - SClub7, "Don't Stop Moving" (assuming this came out in 2001, because I'm not 100% sure)
Most newsworthy moment in metal - the "Anthrax has a controversial name" saga
Most newsworthy moment in world news - George Harrison RIP (with Shirley Strachan being the most newsworthy local item)

God, I think of some lame questions, don't I?

Best album - Horror Show by Iced Earth narrowly winning over God Hates Us All by Slayer!

Best song - Dracula by IE, or Exile or Disciple by Slayer

Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - Iced Earth of course!

Best gig - SLAYER!!!!!!!!! God it was good. Very good indeed. Woo!

Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - Finding out about Sinergy!

Best movie - Probably Lord Of The Rings when I go see it......

Best non-metal, top 40-style song - In The End by Linkin Park. It ROCKS!

Most newsworthy moment in metal - Probably Dave back in Slayer, I never would have thought it would happen......

Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items - Probably that midget that trampolined into a Hippos mouth and got eaten. That was TOO wierd. I think that was this year. If not then those people that jumped onto the whale carcass in Sydney Harbour to pat the huge bloody sharks feeding off it on the head. Some people are just too stupid to live.

Best album - Liberation by Ice Age

Best song - Revolving Door by Jordan Rudess

Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - Ice Age

Best gig - Planet X

Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - Thonk (a band from Brisbane), the best local act I ever seen

Best movie - Lord Of The Rings

Best non-metal, top 40-style song - I'm a metal man, so no top 40 pop crap for me.

Most newsworthy moment in metal - Lombardo back in Slayer

Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items - ??

Best album - DEMOLITION

I can't really answer the rest.

During the past year I've opened my ears to many new and great bands - some of which I had heard a little of before, and some I'd never even heard of!

Dream Theater
Iced Earth
Opeth
Judas Priest
Gamma Ray
Lost Horizon
Nevermore
Slayer
The Haunted

I've been to 5 great concerts, ACDC, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Megadeth and Judas Priest - AND even got to have a Heavy Metal night in my own town! (Geelong).

A f'king great year of metal!! :headbang: (Although a little expensive too ;) )

Best album - Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Best song - too many to mention.
Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - Iced Earth (awesome album and getting on a big US tour! Woo!)
Best gig - only went to a couple this year (I can't believe I missed some of the gigs, 'Deth, Priest, ect), so I guess I will go with AC/DC.
Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - has been so many, but I will go with Katatonia.
Best movie - am off to see LotR sometime this week, I am guessing that will take the honers, but for now I will go with Swordfish.
Best non-metal, top 40-style song - I like everything by Creed, they rule.
Most newsworthy moment in metal - Dave back in Slayer. HUGE news.
Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items - the one Spawny said about the hippo was pretty darn newsworthy, but I am pretty sure it wasn't this year, so I will go with the departure of George Harrison. RIP.

Best album - Bridge Across Forever, Transatlantic
Best song - Stranger in your soul, Transatlantic
Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - Dream Theater (recorded 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence, which I know will rock thie shit out of me!!)
Best gig - Deep Purple in Melbourne, folowed by ACDC, Planet X, and Alice Cooper
Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - Planet X actually came to Oz
Best movie - Shrek
Best non-metal, top 40-style song - I need somebody - Bardot
Most newsworthy moment in metal - Iced Earth toured with Megadeth
Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items - Gerorge Harrison RIP, Bushfires in Oz, Anthony Mundine lying flat on the mat in the 10th round!

Best album - Horror Show
Best song - WASP - Let It Roar hehe
Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - Megadeth for releasing their best album since 94, doing a signing in Melbourne, then touring Australia! :D
Best gig - KISS!!!!!!!!! With Megadeth and Priest getting very honourable mentions... I can't believe I missed AC/DC and Alice Cooper though :(
Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - Peter Criss quitting Kiss again, and right before Aussie tour. Yes this is good news to me coz Eric kicks his anus... and with Paul and Gene still wanting to tour at the moment but Ace being the weakest link not wanting to tour... this holds possibilities of a non-makeup Kiss happening again :)
Best movie - Dunno hehe
Best non-metal, top 40-style song - Fucked if I know :)
Most newsworthy moment in metal - Chuck dying, Dave back in Slayer.
Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items - Not sure :D

what a year..

Best Album: Nice-Rollins Band (I Loved horror show but Hank is God)
Best Song:F*ck Authority-Pennywise
Best Band:Rollins Band
Best Discovery(band I did not know existed before 2001):Iced Earth
Best Gig:Hanks Spoken Word
Biggest Surprise: That a band can write and produce and album about there favorite scary monsters and do it really well.
Best Movie: This is hard either Shriek (did you know it was out on video and DVD) or Almost Famous.
Best non-metal: Beautiful Garbage-Garbage
Most Disappointing Album: Live Evolution-Queensryche

and that is my musical year that was not bad but I hope 2002 is better.

Best album - Kreator - Violent Revolution !!

Best song - Replica's of life (Kreator)

Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - Judas Preist (they came to perth !! :)

Best gig - Megadeth - Sydney (enmore theater)

Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - ?

Best movie - Lord of the Rings

Best non-metal, top 40-style song - Because i got High (afroman)

Most newsworthy moment in metal - Jason leaves MetallicA

Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items -

I'm probably going to forget loads of stuff but I shall try my bestest. :)

Best album - Toxicity -SOAD
Best song -
Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - SOAD
Best gig - Robbie Williams in Brisbane!
Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - That The Bee Gees really are good.
Best movie - Harry Potter
Best non-metal, top 40-style song - Anything Robbie released, followed by Afroman and Kylies latest.
Most newsworthy moment in metal - Jason quitting Metallica.
Most newsworthy moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items - George Harrision's death.

Best album - Opeth Blackwater Park (only just beat IE's Horror Show)
Best song - IE's Dracula
Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - Opeth
Best gig - Megadeth at The Palace
Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - Jason leaving Metallica
Best movie - Fellowship
Best non-metal, top 40-style song - Ben Folds Rockin The Suburbs
Most newsworthy moment in metal - Lomnbardo playing with Slayer
Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items - I GOT LAID!!!

Here's my load of crap list

Best album - Devin Townsend-Terria
Best song - Fantomas-Rosemary's Baby
Best band (that actually did something in 2001!) - see above 2 bands.
Best gig - The fuckin brain
Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music - prolly dungeon
Best movie - fast and the furious
Best non-metal, top 40-style song - The new Human Nature song,cos it has a funny clip with Guido Hatzis dancing in it
Most newsworthy moment in metal - death of chuck,and james murphy's cancer problem
Most newsworth moment in world news, not including September 11 or related news items - Jozzy got laid.

Best album: Iced Earth- Horror Show

Best song: Either Wolf or Phantom Opera Ghost

Best band of 2001: Duh! See above :).

Best gig: KISS (There wasn't much competition here I'm afraid, since I ended up missing Alice, Deep Purple, Priest *and* Hi-5 all in the one year :mad:.)

Biggest (pleasant) surprise in music: Finally listening to any number of great bands (Dungeon, Judas Priest, WASP, Queensryche, Iced Earth, Sinergy and Brucie solo stuff) and enjoying them all immensely.

Best movie: Hannibal (best of a bad bunch)

Best Top 40 style song: Tania Moran- Waste Your Love (I mean that sincerely)

Most newsworthy metal moment: Peter leaves KISS (Hurrah!)

Most worthy moment in world news: RIP Douglas Adams and George Harrison :cry:

Music aside, this was a pretty underwhelming year for me personally. I've spent far too much time on the net, written far too little, made almost no progress in any direction and buried my best friend (see the dog-related thread from a few weeks ago). I hereby pledge to turn over several new leaves and make 2002 a helluva lot better. That is all.

W