Songs too hard to play and sing?

When I saw Opeth last and they played The Moor, the first couple verses seemed kind hard for Mike to sing while playing at the same time. What do you think is the most difficult Opeth song to play and sing at the same time? Do you think theres some that they wont play live for this reason?

The answer to the first question is "I don't know" but I've always thought that "Hope Leaves" is difficult for Mike to sing. The pitch in that song is a bit too high and sometimes I have the feeling he cannot reach it well. Actually I guess goose skin whenever I listen to that song, especially on Lamentations.

For the second question, I think that's not the reason why they decide not to play some songs live; in fact, they've played almost all their catalogue live. I feel they want to play songs which work better live or which can connect better with the audience. I don't think the difficulty of playing and singing at the same time is the reason.

Saw Opeth at the sweden rock festival this year, and I can't say i remember Mike having that much problems with The moor, though I bet it isn't easy.

One of the most difficult songs to sing while playing must be "In my time of need". At least the "I- can't- see- the- mea- -ning...etc." part, I think i saw it live the first time I heard it, and i don't think mike even played it, he just let Peter do the guitar part.

Have hard to belive that Opeth would skip a song live just because they can't play it, they'd probably just play it over and over again till it works.

well i'm sure many of you are goint to disagree with me on this one, but it seems that Mike has trouble with Demon of the Fall, it seems sloppy live, that's what I thought when i saw them, and then it was further confirmed (in my opinion) when i downloaded them play that during an opening show for Nevermore,

I'd imagine that the title part for Serenity Painted Death is pretty damn hard to play live.

Probably Bleak, during the chorus where Mike has to sing both his and Wilson's parts. He had a lot of trouble with it judging from a bootleg I listened to.

Heliotropic_Rose said:
well i'm sure many of you are goint to disagree with me on this one, but it seems that Mike has trouble with Demon of the Fall, it seems sloppy live, that's what I thought when i saw them, and then it was further confirmed (in my opinion) when i downloaded them play that during an opening show for Nevermore,
I saw that bootleg, seemed fine to me, actually it was great to be honest. :tickled:

They did Bleak at a live show I went to a while back, he seemed to hit the lines perfectly. I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

KeithPars said:
I'd imagine that the title part for Serenity Painted Death is pretty damn hard to play live.

Yeah, I remember an interview in which Mike said that that part was fucking hard to play.

well. i know from an interview that Mikael said that "By Pain I See in Others" was too difficult to play. even the drum part of that song is way hard... i know because i can hardly menage it.

IN MY TIME OF NEED isn't too difficult to play, considering that Peter plays the intro while Mikael sings along.

imo BENIGHTED is very difficult to play, only if Mikael plays when he sings.

[
imo BENIGHTED is very difficult to play, only if Mikael plays when he sings.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Benighted is a toughie. Contrapuntal as hell.