sing and play

Massili

Jun 3, 2005
well, it seems so simple for some ppl and so hard for others but could someone tell me good tips to sing and play guitar at the same time? I see many ppl singing and playing hard stuffs and i just get so frustated that i cant even do an easy thing...

exercises , anything....

thx in advance

ops sry i posted in the wrong place, could the moderator move it to the correct sub-forum?

Practice.....

Learn each part very well on their own first. If you have to think about what to play or what lyrics to sing, you don't know them well enough yet and will be focusing on one disproportionately more than the other. This is what makes it so difficult. Those who are good at it have usually developed the ability to think independently and do two things at once, or are just naturally gifted (bastards!).

As I'm not one of the latter, I tend to get comfortable with the vocal first as my guitar/bass playing is better than my ability to remember lyrics. I'll just concentrate on singing the melody line first while playing along without singing actual lyrics. Once that's down, I'll start trying to remember the bloody words. Lots of practice later, I should have it down.

I'd suggest you start with a section of a simple song which has sustained power chords/open chords and repeating lyrics - most likely a chorus. Get that down and start moving onto the verses or the bridge. If there's a lot of lyrics going on, just try and sing every second line at first or just mumble the general melody. Once comfortable with that, try the lyrics.

With enough practice, you'll hopefully start to develop the ability to think independently about doing two things at once. But the key is to know both parts very well before combining them.

I've played guitar and singed in bands for years. Sparkyness mentions a lot of important things, but I tend to do it the other way around. Learn the riffs ihn the song so well that you don't think about what you're doing. Once the fingers move on their own I'm free to do whatever I want with my voice.

Yep works it either way. I remember reading an article with Geddy Lee who does the same (learns riffs first). Although he's a master bass player, the same principles applies. And anyone who can sing and play in odd time sigs like that bloke must know a thing or two.

I usually just practice the song on guitar so much that it's automatic. Once it's automatic, singing over it is pretty easy, assuming I know my vocal line well (I usually have a demo to sing to in my car, etc.)

I play the one riff over and over and then mouth the lyrics over the riff. I then try and remember what my right had is playing when I speak out the sylables ( do you know whta I mean?)
I try to think of it matching the two rythms:
vox:0----0-0-0----0-0---0-|
Guit:00000-0-0000-0-0-0000|

You know what I mean?

I play the one riff over and over and then mouth the lyrics over the riff. I then try and remember what my right had is playing when I speak out the sylables ( do you know whta I mean?)
I try to think of it matching the two rythms:
vox:0----0-0-0----0-0---0-|
Guit:00000-0-0000-0-0-0000|

You know what I mean?

I know what you mean because this is what I do too. It's more like drumming to me. Singing and guitar is like keeping track of hands and feet. I need to know where everything lines up, then I'm fine.

Keep your mouth in proximity of the mic, the first mistake guys starting out do is sing then look at the guitar while on stage, this means that there's often words cutting in and out - keep close to the mic and focus foward...(expect when going for the louder notes where you'll have to adjust your distance)

depending on what type of vocals your doing you may have to take a lighter role with the guitar playing to make sure the vocals dont suffer, especially if your doing the lead vocals and the only vocalist in the band

really good tips from all of you...

my main problem is the rhythm of the vocal line and my right hand...i can sing without looking at the guitar like Skyweaver mentioned but my problem is the sync with the rhythm of the vocal and the picking... :)

thx alot for all the tips guys, thx!

Then do what I said, add a third thing, like counting the beat with your foot, and sync your hand with your foot and your mouth with your foot. Sounds weird as it would seem more complicated to add a new element but definately works for me on the toughest sing & play parts that I have.

Can any of you guys sing and play Jump In The Fire or Holy Wars at the same time?

I can't even chew gum and play simultaneously.

Like I said....some guys are disgustingly naturally talented when it comes to such things. Mustaine being one of them. Geddy still gets my vote too. Playing bass in 7/4 while singing and operating keyboard bass pedals at the same time.

Coming from drums first made this easier for me...

Its taken me about... 3 months to get to being halfway decent at it, but, one of my friends can vouch.. Im somehow honestly able to play Tornado of Souls and Lucretia while singing with it.

My buddy cant touch it... and he's somewhat annoyed that Ive jumped past him like that, but, its because of my near 20 yrs behind the drums that's gotten me able to do things with that kind of interdependence I guess.

But, to echo the above... you HAVE to get so used to playing the parts that you're not thinking about what you're playing at all. Total muscle memory...

You may want to try playing guitar while just actually talking to someone, first... you're still doing two things at once, but, not forcing yourself to remember lyrics, too. As stupid as it sounds, it DOES help you learn to separate.

I have to learn Jump in the Fire on guitar first before I can see if its possible... and I only know like two riffs to Holy Wars =P