Sonik Synth 2 panning and volume problem

UM1

Feb 7, 2009
When using Sonik Synth 2 I'm having a problem with the panning and volume control. I'm using Cubase Studio 4 and don't have this problem with any other
VSTi.

I change the panning and volume inside SS2 and at some point when playing
back the track the track, the volume and panning will automatically change by itself. Usually it pans the track to extreme L or R. I don't have any automation set for these tracks either. If I change the settings in Cubase the same thing happens.

Any idea if this is a Cubase or SS2 problem?

Thought I would ask here while waiting for a reply from IKM.

Thanks.

In the tracks that do this, do they have imported midi data from Guitar Pro? It usually adds shitty automation that causes problems like that in DAWs.

It sounds like it's an automation problem, so if there's a sort of midi event list in Cubase, open it up and see what's happening in there. Remove all pan and volume automations.

In the tracks that do this, do they have imported midi data from Guitar Pro? It usually adds shitty automation that causes problems like that in DAWs.

It sounds like it's an automation problem, so if there's a sort of midi event list in Cubase, open it up and see what's happening in there. Remove all pan and volume automations.

I'm not going to call you a genius yet...because I haven't tried it...BUT..

it sounds like you are on to something. I do in fact have some imported GP files. You must have done this before to know or you were spying on me!:eek:

After starting this thread I went back and tried changing the panning and volume again in SS2 and it stayed where I put it when played back. I don't know why all of a sudden it worked but I'm not convinced that the problem is solved.

I don't have any automation turned on and the tracks were not in read or write mode. Would the automation you said to check be on the imported MIDI tracks themselves or somewhere else?

Is it just SS2 that does this? I've imported many GP and other MIDI files in the past and never had this issue. Though this is only the second time I have use SS2 and both times it was the same problem.

Also, I recently upgraded my GP so I wonder if the newer version is adding the unwanted automation?

I won't be at that computer until tomorrow to check if that's the problem but thanks for the suggestion!

:Spin:

^ GP is notorious for including all sorts of extra shite in its exported MIDI files, which play havoc with virtual instruments.

It must be the newer version of GP because for the past 6 years I never had this problem. Plus, I have used GP MIDI files with other VSTi's and it doesn't do a thing to them.

I had no idea that this was an issue. Maybe it's better to export the MIDI files
with everything centered in the mixer to avoid this?

Don't worry, it was an educated guess... Or was it? :wave: :lol:

I'm not familiar with Cubase's functions, but in Logic there's a window called Event List that allows the user to make any changes to pretty much anything. When I've had to import something from Guitar Pro, I open that list up and remove anything that I don't think is supposed to be there. Usually it's everything but the actual midi notes.

What you set up in Guitar Pro usually doesn't have a large impact on all the strange automation it writes along the midi notes when you export in my experience, so changing your song writing habits in GP isn't necessary - it won't really help there.

Did you upgrade to 5 or 6? I - and probably most other people - are having problems with the version 4 and 5, so if you didn't have problems before upgrading, you've been lucky.

Despite being the in-the-box musician's best friend, midi can often be terribly confusing...

Don't worry, it was an educated guess... Or was it? :wave: :lol:

I'm not familiar with Cubase's functions, but in Logic there's a window called Event List that allows the user to make any changes to pretty much anything. When I've had to import something from Guitar Pro, I open that list up and remove anything that I don't think is supposed to be there. Usually it's everything but the actual midi notes.

What you set up in Guitar Pro usually doesn't have a large impact on all the strange automation it writes along the midi notes when you export in my experience, so changing your song writing habits in GP isn't necessary - it won't really help there.

Did you upgrade to 5 or 6? I - and probably most other people - are having problems with the version 4 and 5, so if you didn't have problems before upgrading, you've been lucky.

Despite being the in-the-box musician's best friend, midi can often be terribly confusing...

Ok..here it is.......you are a GENIUS!

I went and deleted all the "controller" data for each midi track and after that
everything seems to be back to normal. Everything stays at the value I put it on.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate you taking the time.