Sorry.. another Metallica post

\m/

I Die Slowly
Just a question, because I know everyones sick of the posts.. last night I was on UM and when I tried to view some posts there was nothing there, on another forum I read that Metallica.com and Encyclopidia Metallica's forum were also down, is this the work of there management to prevent people from finding info on where to DL the cd before the release day? Thanks.

most likely it is not, but if i were in a band, i wouldnt want people getting something i worked my ass off to make for free....you should just go buy the album, its not that much....(a lot of people make a big deal over nothing) well, c ya..ozzy saves and keep musci evil

HarvesterOfSorrow334 said:
most likely it is not, but if i were in a band, i wouldnt want people getting something i worked my ass off to make for free....you should just go buy the album, its not that much....(a lot of people make a big deal over nothing) well, c ya..ozzy saves and keep musci evil

I would have to agree with you there. I think Lars got carried away with the whole Napster thing way back, but the guy did have a point. I think metal fans should go out, buy the discs & support metal.

sixxswine said:
I would have to agree with you there. I think Lars got carried away with the whole Napster thing way back, but the guy did have a point. I think metal fans should go out, buy the discs & support metal.

You are right!!! Support METAL!!

Most of the metal bands aren't rich... there are only a very few bands that can aford a big house, or a nice car. Plus, its soo hard to record and album, and its even harder to get a record deal. Besides, its expensive.

... i don't think metal albums are expensive... i preffer to buy a 12-15 bucks album, with a nice cover, booklet, good sound quality, than wait hours to download a shity copy from the internet.... but there are some exceptions of course.

You gotta remember one thing though... the bands get only .2 cents per album or slightly more. the rest mainly goes to the record company. If you REALLY want to support a band, by the cd of THEM at a show because whatever money is earned at a show goes straight to THEIR pocket, not the company (and if so, its a small percentage).

Also, if you are an unknown band, mp3 sharing does have its advantages, think of cassette trading amongst millions world wide. It has its flaws too but if you think that downloading mp3s is bad then just don't download. I'll be honest, I download alot of advance albums and that is how I choose whether or not I purchase the cd, but it also introduces me to ALOT of bands. So from my point of view its good but flawed. But you gotta remember one thing as well, the downloaders that don't purchase the album are usually teenagers who have no jobs or good source of income, so spending $15.99 - $17.99 is kind of cutting it harshly. If it was a guy with a job and had a good source of income, then judge him harshly.

Edit - and if you want to judge me and call me a mp3 nazi, I own over 400 CDs, all death and black metal and other genres. I still purchase cds even with my mesely income because if i like what I hear, I buy it when I can.

Where do you get this .02 cents per copy figure?

As far as I can tell, 8%-12% seems pretty typical of most band when they first get signed, unless you sign to some shitty label like Century Media. I remember Metallica taking Electra to court (they should give them their own Court TV marathon or something) to bump up their profits, and they were saying their old Kill em All contract entitled them to 8%. They now get nearly $4 per album.

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
Where do you get this .02 cents per copy figure?
I forgot where I read it but it was very little cash that bands got per cd. I most likely am wrong about the .2 cent thing but it really isn't enough to live by. Like I said though, the real way bands make a living now in days is by touring. Other than that, living off the sales of your cd would not ensure anything.

Well, here's what Metallica made in a year without touring:

#26: Metallica
Net amount earned in 2001: $17.5 million
Sources of income:
Touring: $0
Recording: $14.7 million
Publishing: $6.6 million
Endorsements: $0.5 million

Aww. Poor things. How can they feed their children on such a paltry income?

edwardgein said:
So how much did they lose when Napster was still around???

It's impossible to tell, but it wasn't enough. Those asses made like $42 from touring alone in 2000 and $32 all around in 98. Trust me. I will never feel sorry for them and their 10th rate garage rock. Especially when p2p trading is no differant than the tape trading of the early 80's that more or less made that band.

i think that downloading an album is ok only when you cant find it in stores, like they are from another country or something, otherwise just buy the album, you cheap-asses!

okay, if any band has deserved to make $20 dollars in a year without touring it is Metallica, especially considering that money gets divided four ways, plus they have to pay for all of the people they employee themselves, such as:

Roadies
Technicians
Producer
Studio Rental (Before they made their own)

Also, Metallica was smart enough to sue their record label because it was ripping them off. Because Metallica had enough balls to confront their label and tell them to cough up the money that was theirs to begin with doesn't make them selfish, it makes them intelligent. I think a lot of people seriously began to take music for granted when Napster was so huge. It was like turning on the tap and getting water with some people. You have a totally different perspective and appreciation for music and art in general when you have to work to have access to it.

So, lets get off their case and get on Michael Jordans! That guy makes what? $50 million a year and does nothing. NOTHING!

CONCLAVE OBSCURUM said:
You are right!!! Support METAL!!

Most of the metal bands aren't rich... there are only a very few bands that can aford a big house, or a nice car. Plus, its soo hard to record and album, and its even harder to get a record deal. Besides, its expensive.

... i don't think metal albums are expensive... i preffer to buy a 12-15 bucks album, with a nice cover, booklet, good sound quality, than wait hours to download a shity copy from the internet.... but there are some exceptions of course.

I could not agree with you more. Most bands aren't rich & even the "rich" musicians don't make "pop star" kind of dough if they play something in the rock/metal genre. The muscians aren't the ones that set the costs of music it's the labels.

Apathy said:
okay, if any band has deserved to make $20 dollars in a year without touring it is Metallica, especially considering that money gets divided four ways, plus they have to pay for all of the people they employee themselves, such as:

Roadies
Technicians
Producer
Studio Rental (Before they made their own)

Also, Metallica was smart enough to sue their record label because it was ripping them off. Because Metallica had enough balls to confront their label and tell them to cough up the money that was theirs to begin with doesn't make them selfish, it makes them intelligent. I think a lot of people seriously began to take music for granted when Napster was so huge. It was like turning on the tap and getting water with some people. You have a totally different perspective and appreciation for music and art in general when you have to work to have access to it.

So, lets get off their case and get on Michael Jordans! That guy makes what? $50 million a year and does nothing. NOTHING!

That is too true.

People forget that Metallica did earn all the money they received.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one here who doesn't think that bands don't deserve to get rich. If a band works hard and puts forth an honest effort into making their music, why shouldn't it pay off for them? If I like and respect a band, I'm nothing but happy to see them get the recognition and monetary compensation they deserve. Unfortunately, this does not happen in most cases.
Metallica had to drudge away for years before finally getting the big bucks. They're still getting back pay as far as I'm concerned. Nobody says anything about how much the execs at Elektra make on their music. I guarantee you the company still gets more than they do. Most bands make record labels rich while they basically get shit on. That's why I respected Metallica using the clout they'd acquired over the years to stand up to the white-collar criminal element that was exploiting them (and countless others).
I also respected their stand on copyright infringement. Granted, I don't entirely agree with the way Lars and James handled that situation, but I support what they were trying to do. File sharing freeloaders are killing small bands and indie labels. They're being buried before they even get off the ground. If you truly love music, then BUY IT! Cds don't cost that much. I love file sharing as much as anyone else, but I only use it for evaluation purposes. If I check out a band and like their stuff, I buy it. If I dl some stuff and don't like it, I trash it.

The bottom line is, music costs money to make and bands should be adequately and appropriately compensated for their work. If they don't make the money back (and then some), they cannot continue making music. Like any business, if incoming money does not substantially exceed outgoing money, the business fails. If they simply break even, they may survive, but cannot grow. It's not rocket science.

Funny that someone mentioned Century Media. They're rather notorious for being cheap and whoring their bands. I don't know exact figures, but I'd love to see some if anyone has any accurate info.

If Metallica deserves to make millions upon millions of dollars a year by playing music, then cops, steelworkers, firefighters, soldiers, EMT's, peepshow janitors, nurses, teachers, ect... should all be earning billions.

It's not that I think bands should earn nothing. I think they, like everyone else, should live comfortably. However, no one deserves millions to play drums horribly or write REALLY bad lyrics. Kinda like Metallica does.

In all honesty, if I were as rich as they are I would retire (before I could humiliate myself further by wearing leather pants when I'm 40), donate the majority of my money to charities and animal shelters, and do volunteer work. That would be the ethical thing to do. Then again, this is Metallica we're talking about.

HarvesterOfSorrow334 said:

Ozzy saves? I think you mean Ozzy sucks...and as far as stealing from metallica...I can feel more sympathy for an axe murderer on death row...fuck metallica..period.

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
If Metallica deserves to make millions upon millions of dollars a year by playing music, then cops, steelworkers, firefighters, soldiers, EMT's, peepshow janitors, nurses, teachers, ect... should all be earning billions.
I agree (except for the peepshow janitor thing), but who are you to decide who 'deserves' to make X amount of money? I realize the Metallica hate-wagon is very popular to be on these days (it's practically a fad), but I find the Britney Spears' and N'Sync's out there, who make far more than Metallica way more disturbing. Most pop stars don't even write their own material.

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
donate the majority of my money to charities and animal shelters, and do volunteer work. That would be the ethical thing to do.
Maybe they do. We don't know what they do with all their money. Many celebs who are active in charities prefer to keep that info private. I do know that Metallica have been recurring participants in, and supporters of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which I think is pretty damned cool.

Soilent Goat said:
and as far as stealing from metallica...I can feel more sympathy for an axe murderer on death row...
It's not a matter of feeling sympathy for them, it's a matter of principle. Stealing somebody's shit is just flat-out wrong. Plain and simple.