sorry to make such a stupid thread but..

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
how do you pronounce "Vintersorg"? I *think* that some scandinavian languages sometimes reverse the V and W sounds, so I was just curious about the proper pronunciation.

W in english is pronounced kidnda like "oe" (or so I've been taught), so I would say "Vinter" is pronounced as "Winter" but with V (as in victory) instead of W (as in water) :)

amf said:
W in english is pronounced kidnda like "oe" (or so I've been taught), so I would say "Vinter" is pronounced as "Winter" but with V (as in victory) instead of W (as in water) :)

exactly. it would be something like [vIntersorj]

station82o said:
aw hell... i just say "vinter"-"sorg" with actually pronouncing the g at the end.... I'm an american, i'm sorry.
I'm doing it the same way, in german its the natural way to pronounce it. Even worse would be "Fintersorrg", hihihihihi. (In German you can pronounce "v" like "f" or like "w", depends on the word)

haha german is crazy, i love that language. Wintersorg would be how germans would spell it to get the V sound, which is just a funny looking word. Wintersorg sounds like it would be the deranged pirate version of Vintersorg.

Arrrrr here comes Wintersorg, hes comin to get yer booty. ARRR

Just listen to Ödemarkens son or Asatider, the word "Vintersorg" is sung (or is it singed? :confused: ) on those :)

''is sung'' is correct I think:)

heh..cool info:)After years of saying vintersorg wrong (with that actuall G at the end)..well..I don't anymore heh:)

Gaunerin said:
what you've heard is correct.

It's so strange, after reading every message in this thread, I think I got it...and it's what I thought before I read it.

Anyone tell me how to pronounce Trill Fjalls? I hear it on the album, but can someone who speaks the language break down each sound for me?

Thanks,
Dumb Canuck trying to understand something other than Franglais

nartriva73 said:
It's so strange, after reading every message in this thread, I think I got it...and it's what I thought before I read it.

Anyone tell me how to pronounce Trill Fjalls? I hear it on the album, but can someone who speaks the language break down each sound for me?

Thanks,
Dumb Canuck trying to understand something other than Franglais
In German and Swedish, "Ä" is pronounced /E/ like the "ai" in hair
"Till fjälls". only the "ä" part should be a problem in pronouncing.

Till is pretty easy, it is like the til at the end of the english "until"
for the Fjälls, the Fj makes a f followed by a sound similar to the y in the english word "year". the ä is exactly like DeepInMisery said, and then the lls is just like it looks. The easiest way to think of it it, is to put an f in the beginning of the english word "yells". Hope that helps

P.S. sure I'm an American, but im quasi fluent in german, and i've had germans tell me i dont have much of an accent when speaking their language, so don't think that im some kind of jerkoff american that thinks he knows everything, although i am, and i do ;)

iAMtheblackwizards said:
P.S. sure I'm an American, but im quasi fluent in german, and i've had germans tell me i dont have much of an accent when speaking their language, so don't think that im some kind of jerkoff american that thinks he knows everything, although i am, and i do ;)
Nice, I don't understand how this explains you know about Swedish pronounciation though. Knowing German doesn't always help, I'm the best example. Ask my Swedish teacher :D

Well knowing another language that has other sounds that isnt in our alphabet, makes it easier to pick up on other sounds in yet a third language. Aside from that, i also have a really good ear to boot (hooray for playing an instrument for 10+ years). Also half of my family speaks greek all the time, so I have a pretty atuned ear to different letter sounds. German and swedish letters tend to be similar in pronunciation in some regards, umlotted vowels and the j sound to be more specific, which is where us english speakers can get held up in a word like Fjälls

Also, i happen to be a linguistics nerd.