Sound for my Deathcore Band!

Liikemetal

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2010
Hey,
And "Hello" to everybody :D.
I am new and i just got a few Questions.
So let's go! :
Me and my band want to start recording our new album at home,
but as professional as possible.
So i looked up what i need for a good tone. Our equipment at
the moment is :

Drums: EzDrummer DKFH for the Toms and the Cymbals und Andy Sneap
Samples for the bass drum und the snare.

Bass: Spectrasonics Trilian Bass.

Guitar: : Schecter Diamond Series Devil Custom.
And plugins to emulate the sound. But i don't know which i should use.
At the moment i go with the TSE x30 Plugin. But i can't really get a Punchy sond out of it.

But we don't feel comfortable with these things. The tone not as punchy as we want to have it.
We're thinking about a sound like from : "Bring me the Horizon" [Chellsea Smile] or "Emmure".

How could we get there?
Would the Steven Slate Drums 3.5 EX with the Metal Pack a good thing to go?
And how we can get a really punchy guitar Sound for fat breakdowns?
And is the Trilian Bass Plugin good enough? :confused:

Hope you can help us! :loco:

-Liikemetal

First or all, get a real bass, it'll help loads.

For the drums you'd be better off using Superior Drummer 2, you won't get anywhere near professional with EZD DFH.
For the guitars, raise your pickups high, put on some new strings and play hard and somewhat close to the bridge. If you want a professional sound you should consider borrowing or renting, if possible, a Peavey 5150 (with a tubescreamer in front) : it's the amp that's used the most in the genre. If you're having trouble micing a cab, then you could use impulses afterwards, there are many great ones.

You probably don't have a clue how to use your pirated Waves plugins either for mixing or mastering. Read up on this forum. A lot. And try using those pirated plugins the least possible, because if you're not already good at this, they won't ever turn a mix from OK to perfect.

Steven Slate Drums would get you a good sturgis sound, but Superior Drummer 2 would give you more flexibility. I'd use both if I had the money to.

edit : oh, and welcome.

Thanks. :)
But i won't buy the 5150 so soon. :D
I already used Superior Drummer but for some reasons
it sounded really muffled...
Could you please explain more, how I can get a good guitar tone?
Like : Which plugin i should use and all the other aspects, they are important
for a good sound.

-Liikemetal :loco:

you and your "band"? but you have no drummer or bassist?

I'm going for the recording at home but as pro as possible approach for my band's album too, we are recording the drums at a studio of a friend that's good and not expensive, the rest will be recorded at our rehearsal place, and we will be looking to reamp the guitars with real amps so it can sound much more pro than using ampsims. I reccomend you look into that, you could still get a decently pro sounding album with free ampsims, but with trillian and EZdrummer, I doubt it.

as for the guitar sound your looking for, both emmure and bring me the horizon tune to drop A#, so that might be a good place to start if you haven't already.

i remember hearing that the emmure tone(before felony) was recorded with krank amps

and the bring me the horizon(fucking incredible guitar sound on suicide season, even tho im not a fan of the band) i think was a diezel

oh and get a real bass like mentioned above.

You're not going to sound better right off the bat because of the plugins/equipment you have, you still have to know what you're doing.

So you just "looked up" what you need to create "good tone" for your "professional" sounding home recording, and you already bought all those expensive pieces of software that you listed? :rolleyes:

Okay not to be a dick or anything but you want to make a very "professional" sounding album but you have no idea what your doing (mixing wise) how is that going to work? I mean in order to sound "professional" your going to need to know what your doing in the first place, and have some experience.
I think your going to have to just lower ur expectations and try to make the best sounding album that you can, but if you really want to make it sound "professional" then your going to have to pay big bucks and go to a professional studio.

But anyways just my 2cents didnt mean to burst your bubble haha

and yes there is bass amp sims such as Ampeg, Studiodevil, Mokafix bass rider(fav) for distorted bass, and a couple of free ones like basspreamp from 1st studio.

So yeah dude like many said in order to get that guitar tone you will have to get a good heavy bass tone too, and as far as VST drums i can only speak about slate EX and i love combining them with real drums but in your case u want to program them so i cant comment on that because i personally hate programed drums lol

Legally purchased Waves Plug-Ins don't quite have the "boom" required for pro sounding mixes.

this thread is unbelievable.

if you really want to make your album sound as proffessional as possible, sell all your legal plugins and start saving up and pay a PRO to record and mix it for you.

you clearly don't have a clue what you are doing, and the chances of you getting a sound like BMTH etc with your equipment/experience is as asymptotically close to 0 as you will get.