Sound treatment idea for my studio room.. have a look.

Apr 23, 2011
Basically at work they where going to throw these triangular cardboard cuts away so i though i could possible use them as a sound treatment option in my studio room..

where would you think they need to go? my idea is to mount X amount of the triangle cuts to a flat large piece of cardboard then hand it on the wall.

IMG_2812-1.jpg

cardboard is not a good soundproofing material because it doesn't have mass and a lot of frequencies pass right through it, I honestly wouldn't waste your time

Might work as a high-frequency diffuser at best, but it's the lower frequencies that kill you in untreated rooms like that. You'll still need proper broadband panels.

Get yourself some rigid fiberglass, some fabric and borrow a sewing machine. Make some proper treatment, it could only cost $100

Could possibly fill a few of them with plaster and mount them on a sheet as diffusers but I think that would probably do more harm than good without any other treatment.

Fill them with something though, anything that stops them being a hollow resonant chamber when attached to the wall. Possibly fill them with rockwool and stab loads of holes in them, diffusion and high frequency absorption :lol:

Fill the backs with "Great Stuff", use a saw blade to trim the excess off and make them flush. Paint them. Then mount them to 2'x2' finished plywood and hang them on the wall with a 1-2" gap behind. Should be pretty decent hi-freq absorbers, and positioning them off the wall will catch a bit of lows.

Bleugh, Auralex. I'm sure those panels are next to useless, which is probably why they have no test data... Also auralex recommend filling them with Rockwool for the same reasons.