Soundcards and sensitivity question

Profeta

Jun 6, 2005
Hi all, I new to the forum. I'm planning to get a new soundcard. I read some of the threads in here searching for info and it seems that the M-Audio 2496 and the Emu 0404 are the best choices.

I have a Sm57 and I've always recorded pluging it to my current soundcard (a really old and simple one), but I'm not satisfied with the sound I get. Would a better soundcard help me with this?

While reading the specs of these soundcards and comparing them to the sm57 specs I found that the sensitivity of the cards is at around -10dBV while the opencircuit output voltage of the mic is only -56dBV. It seems that the mic is "too quiet" for this cards to hear it.

Any advice and pointers will be very much appreciated. :headbang:

Ricardo

Eh, you´ve plugged your SM57 straight into your soundcards that doesn´t have a microphone preamp? You shouldn´t worry about the sensitivity, get a preamp to get a decent sound at first :)

Emu 0404 and M-Audio 2496 should be alright, but they don´t have preamps either. Buy either one + a cheap preamp ( I see you´re propably on a pretty low budget) like, don´t hate me for this guys, I´ve had pretty good results with this, especially after replacing the tube, this http://www.thomann.de/fi/behringer_mic100_tube_ultragain_micpreamp.htm

Or you could buy a firewire/USB soundcard with a mic pre (or two) such as Presonus Inspire, M-audio Fast Track or M-Audio USB audiophile for example. There are tons of little USB/Firewire soundcards just find the one you like the most :)

Thanks for the advice man :headbang: . I'm considering buying the soundcard + preamp. I think is the best option at this moment.

Ricardo

I'd go for the 2496 and an ART Tube MP (Have this setup myself, with two preamps for dual micing - replaced the tube with a Tesla and it sounds very nice) if only one mic is needed, but if there are any plans to move up to two mics go for a DMP3.

Another option is the 1010LT, includes preamps and you don't have the fucking plug conversion problems that the 2496 loses points for.

Jeff

I'd go for the 2496 and an ART Tube MP (Have this setup myself, with two preamps for dual micing - replaced the tube with a Tesla and it sounds very nice) if only one mic is needed, but if there are any plans to move up to two mics go for a DMP3.

Another option is the 1010LT, includes preamps and you don't have the fucking plug conversion problems that the 2496 loses points for.

Jeff

Oh I totally forgot the ART, that´s cool too :)