Question about Firepod and soundcards...

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
So, I have a Firepod and currently use the integrated sound card in my computer...The Firepod runs everything internally when I track, and I can mix and everything through the Firepod as well. But, when I playback through my actual computer soundcard, it sounds different. Is this normal? I think I actually prefer to mix and master on my integrated soundcard on my computers MB more than I do the Firepod, but I'll always have to track through the Firepod and listen back during sessions through that.

On top of all this, I'm wondering about installing a new souncard to override the integrated one I'm using now...In that scenario, would the E-mu still be something I'd wanna look at? It looks like a recording/DAW sound card and not a true computer soundcard with speaker outs, mic and aux in and all that.

Am I making sense?

So, I have a Firepod and currently use the integrated sound card in my computer...The Firepod runs everything internally when I track, and I can mix and everything through the Firepod as well. But, when I playback through my actual computer soundcard, it sounds different. Is this normal? I think I actually prefer to mix and master on my integrated soundcard on my computers MB more than I do the Firepod, but I'll always have to track through the Firepod and listen back during sessions through that.

On top of all this, I'm wondering about installing a new souncard to override the integrated one I'm using now...In that scenario, would the E-mu still be something I'd wanna look at? It looks like a recording/DAW sound card and not a true computer soundcard with speaker outs, mic and aux in and all that.

Am I making sense?

I understand what your saying but dont understand why you would want to use your internal sound card over the Firepod. when you say audio sounds different when you play audio that you recorded with the Firepod throught your internal card it sounds different, are you sure your sample rate and bit rate are the same?

well, sorta...I figured out what I did that was causing me to worry. I rendered a bass drum track and re-imported it back into the session thinking I could do this for all the drums to save CPU space. But, when I imported the BD track back in, it had more high end and less low end punch - didn't sound like what it did before I rendered. I'm now assuming it was the change from 24bit/44.1 down to 16 bit, as whenever I export a mixdown, it defaults to 16bit/44/1 kHz for CD qual. audio. Maybe that was the difference. Other than that, I use the sound card over the Firepod, as I physically have to have the Firepod on and plugged in to mix and master on it, whereas with my sound card I don't. This is a plus, as our drummer currently has the Firepod at his house to record drums for future demos.

But, I can't shake this feeling that my mixes are "more true" when I mix on the soundcard. WHat leaves my computer on CD sounds like it did when I mixed it. I don't think I hear the exact same thing with the Firepod. So, the question remains...Which source should I trust? Should I mix on the stock soundcard knowing what I hear will be the final result, or should I mix on the Firepod, keeping in mind the differences (if there are truly any)? I'm inclined to think the Firepod is the better sound source, but I guess I'm just used to the integrated sound card.

It all depends on the quality of your soundcard's digital to analog converters - if they are better than DACs on Firepod then you better use your soundcard when mixing/mastering.