sown fact(expensive to record)

mrthrax

riffer madness
Feb 17, 2002
australia
Visit site
in the february issue of metal hammer scott states that sown cost 550,000 to record,he also states that it was insane,no surprises there lol,he also says wcfya cost a quarter of that figure.

and that doesnt include the expensive vids that were used to support the album.

Read that SOWN article in the latest Metal Hammer... brilliant article actually! Didn't realise they got the composer from Twin Peaks to help with Black Lodge (obviously which was inspired by Lynch's TV series).

Killer album - personally I think the best Bush era album.

nah just was an expensive project... but so worth it too! Killer album!

i just always hated the sound on that record,the guitar were so washed up,they should have been cutting edge,scott has stated in interviews that overlapping his rthym guitar 6 or 8 times didnt really work.

and i think black lodge cost alot more than 250,i could be wrong though.

CyThrax said:
Did a bunch of their gear get destroyed when they were recording SOWN, or am I thinking of something else?

Yeah, supposedly their studio got flooded and they had a ton of gear destroyed - apparently a dog's head was found in the gutter and was blocking it all up!!!

Ironic cause if I remember right - their studio where they recorded POT was destroyed in a fire.

Typical Anthrax luck.

Matt Bello said:
The best Anthrax album

ya know what Matt - I thought about this the other day - what is the MOST complete album that I can honestly say I will listen to every darn song and not hit skip ...and apart from HyProGlo (which I am still fond off but not nuts for) I would have to say its SOWN (Perhaps POT as well).

I think Danny did his best solo shit on that album. The songs are just timeless too. I mean Only and Room for One More are just fukn the bee's knees for me!

Be Dangerous. Be unpredictable and make a lot of noise
STATIC................ :headbang:

Kamp Krusty wasn't completely destroyed during the fire... it was used as a rehearsal/warehouse space. They even recorded Vol. 8 there.

The rhythm guitar tracks were stacked six per song. The lows, mids, and highs were each accentuated and then doubled up.

Danny did play a lot of good solos on that record, but from what I read in Guitar World and Guitar Mag in the mid-'90s, Charlie wrote most of those leads.

Okay... there's my id coming out... I secretly want to challenge Justin as Anthrax historian emeritus.

Johnny Ace said:
Kamp Krusty wasn't completely destroyed during the fire... it was used as a rehearsal/warehouse space. They even recorded Vol. 8 there.

The rhythm guitar tracks were stacked six per song. The lows, mids, and highs were each accentuated and then doubled up.

Danny did play a lot of good solos on that record, but from what I read in Guitar World and Guitar Mag in the mid-'90s, Charlie wrote most of those leads.

Okay... there's my id coming out... I secretly want to challenge Justin as Anthrax historian emeritus.

well done!

CyThrax said:
Did a bunch of their gear get destroyed when they were recording SOWN, or am I thinking of something else?

that was after Eurphoria, they were planning on putting out a live /home vid from that tour but everything got lost!!

btw anyone who pay's/needs half a million to record a record , should check his head!!!

i suppose it isn't as bad as def leppard althought i worked out alright in the end,the lead guitarist said in a documentary that hysteria had to sell 5 million just to break even lol.

Wasting money making a record? We need only look no further than the world champion, Axl Rose. Isn't that record at $10 million and counting? Fucking insane. And i bet it'll suck.

Gibba said:
Wasting money making a record? We need only look no further than the world champion, Axl Rose. Isn't that record at $10 million and counting? Fucking insane. And i bet it'll suck.

If the record ever comes out, which I doubt.

You have to keep in mind that SOWN was recorded before the digital music revolutiuon. Now-a-days you can get a basement recording for $30 an hour that will sound a world better then anything recorded pre-1990. So many people have G5's, a ton of preamps, a nice board, and killer software like Pro-Tools or Nuendo that completely puts the old analog 2 inch recordings to shame. And even if you are a sucker for analog, you can hook a 2 inch machine up to your Mac and still have an analog recording with the capability of using the powerfull digital editing. Things have gotten a lot smaller, better sounding, and cheaper since SOWN. But the mastering is still very important. I once made a CD that was completely ruined in the mastering. Anyone who has the job title of mastering CD's needs to know what they are doing. There they are, holding a bands swet and blood in their hands, and they can fuck it all up and still charge an arm and a leg.

p.s. - fuck axl.