Spawn and other like-minded folks...

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
I'm looking for some more horror novels, comics and movies to read, watch and possibly buy. What would you recommend for someone who enjoys the Neil Gaiman/Stephen King/Clive Barker/Anne Rice sort of horror, but also likes the odd dark n' gritty police procedural?

Blood, violence, gore and sex are no problem, as long as they're not gratuitous and can be artistically justified :).

W

Ok, heres the definitive list of comics you will enjoy :D
Because im really bored and have heaps of work sitting on my desk I dont want to do, ive also added links for your perusal should you wish to peruse them :)

Hellspawn: Its probably the best horror comic ive read, LOTS of swearing/nudity and graphic violence, so dont leave it around for kids to read. Quite a disturbing read, I really enjoy it.
Very Clive Barkerish in some parts, theres no Trade Paperbacks yet, but get the latest issue (number 12) as thats the start of a new story arc, so it will give you some idea of the style. Anyway, its highly recommended.
http://www.spawn.com/productions/hellspawn.html (Ignore the description, it doesnt describe the book well at all :mad: )

Kiss:psycho Circus: I dont know if you have read these, but its probably my favourite comic of all time, theres 29 issues and its really got very little to do with the band at all.
Buy one of the collections to see what its like (but dont get the Destroyer one unless its the only one there, its the only weak story out of all the issues).
Offhand I cant remember what exact numbers my favourite issues are, but most of them are brilliant to magnificent, with loads of little details you will only spot if you are a Kiss fan :)
Also should be really cheap for back issues as well, probably less than cover price. Its nothing like the old Marvel Kiss comics, more of a gothic/horror comic.
http://www.spawn.com/productions/kisstpb.html

Curse Of The Spawn: Get the Trade Paperbacks of these, its about serial killers, demons and all kinds of creepy stuff, theres about 30 issues, but the first 2 Trade paperbacks are 2 of the best stories ive ever read. TP1 is Demons/Horror, TP2 is about a serial killer that kills serial killers, both books are unrelated to each other story wise.
http://www.spawn.com/productions/curse/cursetpb1.html
http://www.spawn.com/productions/curse/cursetpb2.html

Spawn The Undead: Ok, yes, I read a lot of Spawn stuff, but its all good, honest :D
Anyway, this book isnt really about Spawn, its about different people each issue, not really scary per se, but some of the stories are really bizarre (one is about a woman who wont get on an escalator because she is afraid of them) and its an unsettling read, plus it makes you think, which is sometimes good im told :) These should be really cheap for back issues as well, probably less than cover price.
http://www.spawn.com/productions/spawntheundead.html

If you love Vampires (like me!) the following are great:

Purgatori: About a bisexual vampire who used to be an egyptian goddess, its not as lurid as it sounds, not exactly Neil Gaimen standard writing, but its still quite good, pick up a few of the single issues if you see them and give it a try, I think you will enjoy them.
www.chaoscomics.com

Magdelena: Blood Divine: This ones really really great, its about the church, demons, vampires and the vatican, it all ties together and has a big twist and unexpected ending, well worth getting, its a trade paperback and its about 25 dollars I think.
www.topcow.com

Grim and gritty police procedural?
Samn and Twitch: Udaku: One of the greatest comics ever, if they charged a hundred dollars for this it would be worth it still (they charge 50 dollars, but its worth it!). Its very long, but I can promise you that its truly brilliant stuff.
http://www.spawn.com/productions/samandtwitch.html

Ok, that should do for now, but all of those are great. Trust me :)

Ta! Looks like I should start reading Image stuff as well as Vertigo, eh?

FYI, There'll be a trade paperback collection of Hellraiser stuff (inspired by the movies) out in June. It has stories by Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman, with art by Alex Ross. Three gods all in the same book!

Go to Amazon, do a search for Clive Barker (in the books section), click on "Hellraiser: Collected Best" and then ask your comic shop to order you twelve copies :).

W

Ive actually been meaning to buy the Hellraiser ones, now it seems like I have a good excuse to do so :)

Yep, Image has got some great Vertigoesque stuff amongst the usual superhero stuff!

On a side note, im actually listening to Horror Show at the moment, how appropriate :)

Ahh, I cant believe I forgot this, but Arkham Asylum is a must buy, VERY disturbing, insightful and extremely well written. Probably the best thing I have ever read :)

A great horror novel is "Carrion Comfort" by Dan Simmons. Highly recommended, much better than that Clive Barker git (although I've only read "The Damnation Game" from him, so maybe he's not as bad as all that).

Haven't read The Damnation Game, Spiff, but for my money Clive Barker's short stories and novellas (eg The Books of Blood Vol 1-6 and The Hellbound Heart) have a lot more going for them than some of his longer books.

Dan Simmons you say? Righto, he's on the list :).

And for those who really need to know, Carrion Comfort is also the name of a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

W

Best Horror movies are .....

Night of the Living Dead (black and white but a claasic)

Dawn of the Dead (My fav horror movie, good charaters and plot)

Day of the dead (Cool effects but not as good as the others)

Evil Dead

Braindead ( Funniest splatter movie ever)

Suspiria (A bit arty farty, with different coloured lights used all the time for background lighting and little plot but i love it)

Zombie flesh easters (You have to see the splinter of wood threw the eye scene !!!)

The Beyond (gates of hell are opened and nasty stuff happens , zombies and stuff)

The Thing (not really horror, more thriller/sci fi but it rocks)

Originally posted by Hanso

Night of the Living Dead (black and white but a claasic)

Dawn of the Dead (My fav horror movie, good charaters and plot)

Day of the dead (Cool effects but not as good as the others)

Evil Dead

Braindead ( Funniest splatter movie ever)

Suspiria (A bit arty farty, with different coloured lights used all the time for background lighting and little plot but i love it)

Zombie flesh easters (You have to see the splinter of wood threw the eye scene !!!)

The Beyond (gates of hell are opened and nasty stuff happens , zombies and stuff)

The Thing (not really horror, more thriller/sci fi but it rocks)

You legend! Exactly what I would have picked. I also really like 'Scarecrows', a low-budget mid-80s slice n' dice that was actually pretty scary!

Originally posted by Spiff
A great horror novel is "Carrion Comfort" by Dan Simmons. Highly recommended, much better than that Clive Barker git (although I've only read "The Damnation Game" from him, so maybe he's not as bad as all that).

"Carrion Comfort" actually sickened me, and that's hard to do. I only read up to the part where she takes over the family and they kill off the daughter who doesn't like her or whatever... I haven't read it for ages or all the way through. The sequence where the Nazis are playing chess with Jewish concentration camp prisoners as chess pieces was rather disturbing.

You guys should check out Junk or Wild Zero - believe it or not, the Japanese are making some of the best horror these days (see avatar).

If you like living dead stuff, you'll like those two.

And if you like 'creepy' type stuff, check out Ring.

@Spawn: Arkham Asylum is fantastic. Everyone should read it.

P.S. I'm not Japanese by the way, I just like their flicks.

I saw the trade paperback of Arkham Asylum on a second hand stall a few years ago, but didn't have the cash to buy it (having just spent my last $20 on V for Vendetta- also a damn good read.)

Have you guys read any Ramsey Campbell? His work looks like the kind of thing I should check out.

W

I am a big fan of Stephen King and have most of his books(well the earlier ones anyway).The only other horror writer i enjoy as much is Dean Koontz...i haven't read any for a while so i wouldn't really know which one to recommend if you haven't read any before but i have enjoyed all of his books(probably have about 20 Dean Koontz books in my collection)

Hey Wrathchild,
I just remember another writer who may be more to your liking.His name is Graham Masterton and these are some of the most gruesome books i've read.Much scarier than Stephen King and Dean Koontz.Also,along the lines of Stephen King and Dean Koontz is a writer called Richard Laymon(but i remember not liking all of his books that iv'e read)

Wrathy, Arkham Asylum is the book to judge all other books by, Ive read it probably 20 times, its amazing :)

Originally posted by Hanso

*Gets down on hands and knees to worship Dario Argento*

That movie is a pure masterpiece!!!! The lighting, music score (oh my god the music score is good).... the whole atmosphere, Dario truly pulls the viewer into his nightmare with that film! And I read in an interview once too that about the plot being a bit all over the place, he said that was partly intentional because he wanted the film to be like being in a nightmare, and in a nightmare things don't have to make sense.

Plus, that first killing scene is one of the most intense EVER!

Other horror movies I love:

• The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: my all time favourite, a pure horror masterpiece! Very unique and realistic, everything is done perfectly!
  • Bloodsucking Freaks: no story, z-grade acting/production, but a totally putrid and filthy film! Kinda disturbing on the first viewing too, and very very wrong! Hahaha how this film got past the censors and I Spit On Your Grave or TCM2 are banned is beyond me lol. 90 mins of pointless torture scenes against naked women by a Sadist and his midget helper.
  • Halloween: the most suspenseful film I've ever seen, and the one which statred the whole slasher genre.
  • The Burning: typical '80s summer camp slasher, but 10x better than Friday The 13th and the raft scene (on the uncut version anyway) is a masterpiece. Also, this has some genuine shocks and surprises, much less predictable than most slashers.
  • Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers: crappy d-grade sexploitation horror lol, but damn funny and entertaining!
  • Profondo Rosso (or Deep Red): Also by Dario Argento, and another masterpiece, but u must see the 120 min Italian print, the 90 minute US cut misses hal;f the important scenes
  • Maniac: Not an enjoyable film to watch, very powerful though and can be quite disturbing and claustrophobic. I think this is banned in Australia, but maybe I'm thinking of Driller Killer.