SPDIF

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
I don't get it at all. I currently do not own anything that has this feature other than my audio interface. I have been told that you can add inputs via this feature.

Can you add more mic pre's (lets say if you had a firepod and wanted 2 more inputs even if it was one stereo input can you do this via spdif)? If so then what would work? An analog mixer?

Can you connect regular RCA cables or do you need specific SPDIF ones?

Do you know of any devices that have SPDIF out other than the vox tonelab (the only fucking one I could find)?

BEhringer V-amp pro

Pod XT pro

i think the M-audio black box... (Funny thing is i have one here and dunno... Lemme check...

YEs it does..

I also realise i didnät have to write the checking bit... but i'd already started writing...

There is lots of stuff you could do with S/PDIF. You can use it as a clock source when you connect it to another device. I use it as an output to goto my monitors that have an SPDIF input. That way I'm getting pure digital signal straight to them. You can use it as an input source for 2 more inputs.

BTW rca cables won't cut it. You need a digital cable. Got mine from Radio Crap for like 7 bones.

...And- There are TONS of products out there with S/PDIF ins/outs. Gavin mentioned a few, but there are many more, you just have to search.

In regards to mic pres, every one that single or 2 channel that has S/PDIF out are usually pretty pricy high end units. You'd be better off buying another firepod and daisy chaining them.

yeah if your asio drivers recognise it as a separate in you are away

uber cheap way to convert a stereo analogue to spdif look on the back of cheep second hand MD or dat machines....

OBVIOUSLY it's not the best way but if you just need a couple more cheeky ins when say tracking rough drums it can be a god send!

and wolfman's totally right... sure RCA will work and the signal will come through and everything but you bet cha - it will glitch just where you REEEEAAAALLLY dont want it too!

C

Its a semi pro digital format. Stands for Sony/Philips Digital InterFace. It was developed for CD players and minidisc connection initially

Yeah I read that on wiki and am now convinced that it is the connection on my DVD player that connects to my 5.1 system in the living room.

Thats the one. I actually prefer the optical connections. Sounds amazing IMO. That's how I hook up all my home audio crap, DVDs sound great through it.

The cables used for SPDIF are not the same as RCA. Don't remember the difference, but something of the gauge cable is different since it's a pure digital signal. Some stereo preamps (Art DPS II) has SPIDF out, so you could chain up those two channels. Also look at the Aphex 207D

Be advised that the cost of alot of 1 and 2 channel preamps with SPDIF out are pricy, and you'd be better off buying another firepod and get 8 more pre's instead.

I just got a TC Electronic Finalizer 96k, and im running the S/PDIF out of one of my Firepods into the Finalizer and the S/PDIF output of the finalizer back into the Firepod and it works out great. I bought Monster cables for the connections. does anyone have any ideas on how i can best utilize my finalizer in my settup. Nuendo and 2 Firepods? basicaly how would you guys use a finalizer?

I run my POD into the MOTU ultralite through it.

I had hoped to use the out for my monitors, but it's a pain in the ass since everything seems defaulted to the main outs.

Yeah same with the Firepod, Everytime i turn it on and off i need to go into windows and change the outs to the SPDIF... But its worth it.....

i've used it as a cheeky in for the pod for guide tracks when trascking drums.
other than that...
NOTHING
NADA
ZIP