SPDIF/digital cables

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
I was wondering what you guys use for your SPDIF cable and digital cables in general. I am getting a Line 6 Helix soon and I'm going to connect it to my Saffire Pro 40 via SPDIF. I'm currently doing this with a Pod HD500 and I'm using a cheap Hosa cable. I haven't had any issues so far but was wondering if it can in any way affect the sound? I use pretty good quality analogue cables but I don't see much point with digital ones but maybe I'm wrong.

With digital I think it's more about how often you'll be moving them since the cheaper cables will have crappier/more likely to fail plug-ends. I've seen zero difference between Monster and Hosa with my Kemper + RME rig. The biggest thing is just making sure the cables are digital and you're not just hijacking the RCA cable from an old DVD player or something. :lol:

lol nah I'm getting the spdif 75-ohm coax cable. The Hosa one I want is like 11 bucks vs 40+ for the monster type ones. It isn't going to be stepped on or moved all the time either. I haven't had any issues with the one I already have. Just want another for SPDIF in to my Line 6 Helix(in addition to the spdif out).

Yeah with digital cables it either works or it doesn't, it's just sending a data stream. Only thing worth paying extra for is durability but if it's not likely to get abused then you can just go cheap.

I'm using a heavy duty Canare cable for my Axe-Fx II. Shielding was a major factor in choosing that cable, as was the stout gold connectors.

As long as those 0's and 1's are passing through it totally doesn't matter. Gold connector does absolutely not add anything.
Gold connectors don't corrode and tend to last longer. Has nothing to do with the sound, buddy.

Nickel oxidizes faster than gold but IME the cable most PVC jackets will crack and fail long before the a high quality nickel connector becomes too oxidized to work even in outdoor environments (I worked with sports TV for about ten years. Those dudes set the standard for abusing a/v cabling).

Well theoretically a cable CAN turn a 0 into 1, but that would be with an insane amount of noise coming from other cables, so I just go for the less expensive one if it's just gonna stay plugged in the back of my interface and kemper for exemple, so yeah, the cheaper the better.