Speaker buzz!

Random3

Jul 6, 2014
Cardiff, UK
www.facebook.com
Hi guys, bit of a persistent issue that will require some explaining so bear with me.

I have an iMac and a newly purchased Focusrite Saffire 26 interface. I am running Yamaha HS50s into the interface. I also have an external hard drive, and a second display, if that matters.

So, with my old interface (Presonus Audiobox) I had some speaker buzz which became very irritating at lower volumes. It seems to be some kind of interference from the computer itself, because every time I move the mouse the buzzing gets louder, and when I stop it stops etc.

I had multiple reasons to upgrade the interface, hoping to remove speaker buzz was one of them. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made a difference, so the interface is not the issue. I have also tried speaker cables so I am confident that isn't the issue either. Each speaker and the Mac itself are all plugged into individual wall sockets, so that can't be it either.

I am running out of things to try. I have lived in three houses for a short period of time with this same setup so it can't be poor internal wiring or something. Could I be positioning my gear sub-optimally? Is this buzzing inevitable?

I used to have similar problems and I stopped it by plugging my monitors into a plug strip that doesn't have a ground. Not the greatest solution, but it worked :D

Also try ground lifts if available on your hs50s/interface.

I'm assuming you've tried turning off your 2nd monitor.

What model of power conditioner are you using?
" I have also tried speaker cables so I am confident that isn't the issue either."
By speaker cables do you mean the balanced TRS cables going to the speakers or the internal speaker wires?