Speakers

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
I just bought new speakers, and I'm really surprised how much better my CDs sound! it's really much more enjoyable than before. you can hear details more clearly and distinguish the instruments a lot better...plus much better bass.

I payed around 500 Euros(630$) for the pair...that's not much actually, most
speakers are a LOT more expensive.
Before, I had really huge speakers (the bass membrane was like 30cm), and
actually I thought they were good because of that...but the ones I have now are much smaller, yet they own the older ones in every way. I was really surprised!

so, the point of this thread is (besides showing off)....tell me about your speakers, how much you paid for them, what kind of amplifier you use...stuff like that ;)

Well, I listen to music on my computer but I've got a 5.1 and its fantastic. I bought mine on sale for just over $100 cdn. I don't particularily know much else about the speakers other than I am more than pleased with the sound, I don't really care if they're the best speakers or not just as long I am satisfied.

I got my dell 5.1 speakers for free from my uncle. When in use with my audigy 2 they sound quite good on moderate to low volume settings.(60% or less) My car system is excellent... it really REALLY emphasizes the difference between a well produced album and a poorly produced album. Which is almost a weakness.

What a coincidence. I just got two 8" MTX woofers to replace a couple of blown 5 1/4" woofers for work - I got those just about an hour ago. [Edit] They were $230 but I managed to talk him down to $170.

In my car, I've got two 12" Sony X-plode subs running off a 500watt Crossfire amp. For my high and mid-range, I've got two 5 1/4" and two 6X9s (all X-plodes) running off a 750watt Pioneer amp. It's so loud that it literally feels like your floating when it's turned way up - though I rarely turn it up that loud. It sounds great but I need a new box for my subs. Right now, I've got a seperate box for each of them and I know they'd sound alot better in one box. I'm not sure how much the whole setup costed as I've just been expanding little-by-little - probably over $2000.

750 Watt in the car??? I don't even have that at home. I think my car would fall apart...

I wonder how strongly the quality of your CD player affects the sound. I have a really cheap one...but I don't know if it would make sense to get a better one.
today I read somewhere that you can use ordinary tennis balls to improve the sound of your speakers. just cut 2 balls in halves and place them them under the speaker...this is supposed to reduce vibrations or whatever ;) I tried it, but there was no big difference, to be honest...

Alex78 said:
750 Watt in the car??? I don't even have that at home. I think my car would fall apart...

I wonder how strongly the quality of your CD player affects the sound. I have a really cheap one...but I don't know if it would make sense to get a better one.
today I read somewhere that you can use ordinary tennis balls to improve the sound of your speakers. just cut 2 balls in halves and place them them under the speaker...this is supposed to reduce vibrations or whatever ;) I tried it, but there was no big difference, to be honest...
Coincidentally, the last upgrade to my car stereo was the deck. I had a shitty, generic deck and it only had front and rear outputs so I had the high and mid hooked up to the front and my subs hooked up to the rear. The new deck I got has outputs for subs, front, and rear so now I've got control of my high, mid, and low, respectively. This dramatically increased the quality of the sound. The mid-range is especially important to metal-heads.

The quality of the deck (a Sony X-plode) actually increased the sound as well - so much so that I have no idea how loud it goes as I have yet to actually turn it up all the way whereas the old deck, I had on full-blast all the time.

Another interesting thing that increases power is wire length. If you can reduce the length of wire, you can greatly increase the power output by alot more than you think. A friend of mine was testing the power output of certain lengths of wire and the shorter length increased the power by 30%. Except, I can't quite remember the lengths of the wire though.

aquarium.jpg

To get the full flavour of music you need speakers like that.