Speaking of Vanden Plas...

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
"A new Vanden Plas album is on the horizon! Stephan has already composed 12 new songs and Andy is working on the lyrics and vocal lines. There will also be more songs coming from Günter and Andy. Which songs and how many will be featured on the cd will also depend on the story (more info to follow). The band is thinking about a release in fall 2009. Once again, the band will work together with engineer Markus Teske and the album will be recorded at Bazement Studio near Wiesbaden, Germany."

Im sure many of us can't wait to get our hands on this album.

Christ 0 was truly a masterpiece there was't a filler on the whole album. I personally think they did an amazing job.

I don´t know if they still have problems entering US soil.

Thanks for the info. :headbang:

Releasing mediocre albums. I can't think of a prog metal release last year I would call a masterpiece, which I can as far back as I can remember. Hell, I can't say I heard any prog metal that was very good.

Though I'm a huge fan, and there's nothing I want more than for someone in the genre to step up and release something truly special.

Releasing mediocre albums. I can't think of a prog metal release last year I would call a masterpiece, which I can as far back as I can remember. Hell, I can't say I heard any prog metal that was very good.

Masterpieces? I agree that there were none last year.

But there were SEVERAL that would easily qualify as "very good". Just for starters, new releases from Suspyre, Seventh Wonder, Ayreon, Mindflow, Theocracy, and Tomorrow's Eve, plus debut releases from bands like Orenda and Souljourners, all of which are VERY good.

Lots of good stuff still out there! And yes, I hope 2009 brings along another true masterpiece, but if it can equal 2008 for overall quality I'll be very happy.

And Vanden Plas has a tall order to fill, to live up to "Christ-0", let alone their back catalogue.

Masterpieces? I agree that there were none last year.

But there were SEVERAL that would easily qualify as "very good". Just for starters, new releases from Suspyre, Seventh Wonder, Ayreon, Mindflow, Theocracy, and Tomorrow's Eve, plus debut releases from bands like Orenda and Souljourners, all of which are VERY good.

Lots of good stuff still out there! And yes, I hope 2009 brings along another true masterpiece, but if it can equal 2008 for overall quality I'll be very happy.

And Vanden Plas has a tall order to fill, to live up to "Christ-0", let alone their back catalogue.

Outside of Ayreon I'd consider all those just good releases. Solid, but nothing I'm going to want to spend a lot of time with. I forget about the actual quality of the Ayreon disc because of my initial dislike of the album. But sure, that was an awesome album.

Checking out Orenda on myspace now, definitely enjoying it!

If this is the equivilent of Christ O this will be fantastic; I think we can only hope.

But my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, I enjoyed the 08 Ayreon ;) Especially Lorie's solo

Though I'm a huge fan, and there's nothing I want more than for someone in the genre to step up and release something truly special.

Have you heard Suspyre's "When Time Fades"? That one is anything but mediocre, and took me back to the prog metal glory days of 8-10 years ago.

The new Evergrey was pretty awesome too.

From www.melodicrock.com :
"Press Release / A new Vanden Plas album is on the horizon! Stephan has already composed 12 new songs and Andy is working on the lyrics and vocal lines. There will also be more songs coming from Günter and Andy. Which songs and how many will be featured on the cd will also depend on the story. The band is thinking about a release in fall 2009. Once again, the band will work together with engineer Markus Teske and the album will be recorded at Bazement Studio near Wiesbaden, Germany.
Andy Kuntz: "The new Vanden Plas CD will once again be a concept album. It is also planned to bring it on the theatre stage one day. The working title is 'The Journey of the Watchman' and The story unfolds in Rome in three different time periods. It is about the watchmaker 'Tao' who, under strange circumstances, takes possession of a magic chronograph. This clock enables him to 'stab' a hole in time. It was once filled with 2000 years but there are only a few grains left. To dive deeper into my science fiction story which should be based on well researched historical facts, similar to 'Abydos', I travelled to Rome and stayed at a monastery for a couple of days. Close to the roots of our Christian history at the 'Santa Croce de Gerusalemme' where some holy relics of Saint Helena are still kept, I was able to gain a lot of inspiration. Based on Stephan's songs I already started to work on some vocal lines. I guess it will take until June to finish the songs. Then let's enter the studio and release the album!""

That would be huge for Vanden Plas to have this album out before Progpower. They have the tools to really take the progscene to next level.

I also think last year was very positive for progmetal, with Suspyre, Souljourners, Votum, Tommorrow's Eve, Royal Hunt, Pharoah, Mindflow, Ivanhoe, Seventh Wonder all having albums better than previous with very strong music.

There being a trend toward a more organic (Pain of Salvation / Evergrey) like influence in some of these better prog releases, and I believe Vanden Plas can fit in well with this sound.

FALCON

I am totally and completely STOKED for a new VP disc... Christ 0 was my intro to Vanden Plas, I've since gone back n' got everything by them, and for me, they haven't put out ANYTHING that's 'mediocre'.. Every disc of theirs is great... but that's me...

I'm sooooooo freakin' excited about seeing them this year!!!! :kickass: