Sped up production effect

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
How do you achieve that production effect where everything speeds up really quick but where the pitch gets effected as well like if you were to speed a song up on a tape machine or something. I'm not sure how to do this. It seems to get used a lot in a build up to a section of a song.

If you use Pro Tools the easiest way is to split the region and use Vari-Fi, in the audiosuite menu. If you use Logic you can get the tape speed up effect with the fade tool, you just have to change "Fade In" to "Speed Up" then adjust the "Curve" to your liking. If you use neither of those DAWs, then you may want to check out: Izotope Vinyl(Free), Kammerl-Kaske The Pitcher(Free), Soundtoys Speed(Expensive), Twisted Tools Buffeater(Requires NI Reaktor), or Waves SoundShifter(Also expensive). The plugins I just listed will require some automation but they should get you the tape speed up effect you want!

thanks a lot. I've been messing with Tape Stop plugin. I'll try those other free ones you mentioned. I wonder if there is a way to do it in cubase 6 without any third party plugins.

This kinda of sucks though if you want to only effect one track...

Time selection. Make loop from time selection.

Solo (not in front) ctrl+alt+B and bounce to project folder.

Delete time selection (Or save as different take) and import effected file.

It's only easy for me because I've done it a million times for sub drops and Floyd-style dive bombs.

If you are using Cubase. Select "Tape Mode" for the time stretch algorithm.

Then time stretch the part and voila!

I think they added this in Cubase 5, might have been 6 though. Great addition for hip-hop vocals as well.

If you are using Cubase. Select "Tape Mode" for the time stretch algorithm.

Then time stretch the part and voila!

I think they added this in Cubase 5, might have been 6 though. Great addition for hip-hop vocals as well.

how can you get it to speed up gradually though? Can time stretch be automated? Never tried it.

I was having issues in REAPER trying to automate ReaPitch to get a tape stop effect.

I wrote the automation where it "needed" to be, but upon playback it was never correct.

Pretty sure ReaPitch adds a BUNCH of latency though, and this is probably my issue.

^ ReaPitch worked for me.
I automated Bypass so it is bypassed whole time and switched on needed time + automated pitch drop.
Haven't noticed any latency.

thanks a lot! That is exactly what I was looking for. I've never really messed with the time stretching algorithms in cubase much. That was a big help.