Speech samples & copyright

IronApe

Dec 14, 2005
Pavia - Italy
If I wanted to insert a sample of a speech, say Hitler's or Charles Manson's or the Dalai Lama's or Ghandi's, in a record, do you guys think I could have some copyright issues or any problems?

I would laugh my ass off if someone tried to sue someone for using a Hitler sample....

I dunno why, just i can imagine it being hilarious!

I won't say why i find it funny, but aye...

I was just about to ask a similar question. I have two voice mails left by a metal head bitching about posers that I would like to put on a CD. The person that left the message would never approve. Do you think he has any legal right to stop me from using them?

I was just about to ask a similar question. I have two voice mails left by a metal head bitching about posers that I would like to put on a CD. The person that left the message would never approve. Do you think he has any legal right to stop me from using them?

That ones a doosey. It could go either way:
1. Since the person saying it doesn't approve they might have right to stop it
2. Being on your phone, you might legally "own" it
3. You could just try use it, but not ever say who it is, in which case it would be hard for said person to complain (with proof)
4. Credit yourself for it. That way if the person does complain/ try to take it to court, stiff shit "It's not you dude, I put a voice on and recorded it at home"

No, you'd need permission, the same way you can't technically video tape someone without their permission.

You could, however, post the voice mails here so we can hear and enjoy them.:)

But technically, it was recorded with their permission. This person knew they were leaving a voice mail.

Yeah, I would say that he owns the mechanical copyright to it as it was recorded to a medium in his ownership.

Celebrities get taped by the paparazzi all the time without explicit permission... so really, what's the difference.

Its shocking really! Ive used stuff thats similar in the past but I thought it would be ok since im not actually selling the music that the speech is including in wide spread....oh well :erk:

You could alter the voice as somebody else suggested then technically....it should be like ripping off somebodys riff...change it slightly and it should be ok by my standards. If its not exactly the same I dont see how the law could get involved. I may be wrong like.

You only live once right? :saint: