Speed it up ladies....

spideyjg

Bass Gear Geek
Nov 14, 2005
I recently heard an old rendition of Phantom from the Paul DiAnno days that is blisteringly fast.

On the original CD it is 7:09, Live After Death 7:21, on the Maidens CD it is 7:17.

The Paul DiAnno era rendition is 6:16. :worship: :OMG:

They must have just been a blur back then.

Jim

I recently heard an old rendition of Phantom from the Paul DiAnno days that is blisteringly fast.

On the original CD it is 7:09, Live After Death 7:21, on the Maidens CD it is 7:17.

The Paul DiAnno era rendition is 6:16. :worship: :OMG:

They must have just been a blur back then.

Jim
Wow! Almost a whole minute trimmed by the tempo!!! o_O

Do you know where that cut came from? I'm curious to hear how Paul was able to cram in the lyric! Thasalotta woids to spit out!!! :worship:

I have a cd of maybe the same one. It is Suuuper fast. I love it! It's by far the best version of phantom to me. I brought it up about a year or so ago. I mentioned if the iron ladies would (could?) play it that fast. It really is a tongue twister hearing and trying to sing along as fast as Paul did. Hearing Steve play that fast is awesome too. The cd I have doesn't list the time, but it is a live version on a cd called Killing Time by Metal Memory Records, recorded April 28, 1981 at De Vereeniging Nijmegen Holland.

Back in the early days, and especially during the pub circuit, the band played a lot of their songs much faster than the album. However, keep in mind that many bootlegs from this period (up through NOTB) were recorded at a faster tempo than the songs actually played. The tell-tale sign is a vocalist that sounds a bit like a chipmunk. :lol:

As for Phantom, the band regularly played that like it was a speed metal song. The vocals aren't really affected - Paul handles them clearly and effectively - but I have to say Wanda would have a run for her money playing the bass line with her fingers. It can be intense enough at regular tempo.

As for Phantom, the band regularly played that like it was a speed metal song. The vocals aren't really affected - Paul handles them clearly and effectively - but I have to say Wanda would have a run for her money playing the bass line with her fingers. It can be intense enough at regular tempo.

I think Wanda could do it but I think Linda's drumsticks would catch fire. :lol:

Jim

Not true. The sonic boom would kill the flames. :Smokin:

Besides, I always thought it was the drummers fault anyway when the songs go up tempo on a live set...:loco:

Like the old joke: How can you tell when there is a drummer at your door? The knocking speeds up.

That song is fun played fast!! But I must say that in some cases like this one the initial tempo is set by the guitar and bass because they begin the song, no drummer count off. :cool: