Speed Metal - Any recommendations?

Akerfeldt

In the Nightside Eclipse
Sep 16, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Honestly, I dont know many pure speed metal bands, and well I want some!!

So, if anyone could recommend some, it would be greatly appreciated. :D

Yes, I do! Speed/Power Metal is my preferred style of Metal among other styles! The following are the greatest, most gnarly Speed/Power Metal bands out there!

Iron Maiden
Gamma Ray
Stratovarius
Blind Guardian
Nocturnal Rites
Primal Fear
Grim Reaper
Grave Digger

That's all for now. If you want more talk to me in private. The list above features some the greatest Metal bands ever!

Iron Maiden pure speed metal? That's a new one. Some of those bands above have speed elements like Gamma Ray but most of that stuff is straight up power metal.

Speed metal bands = old school Metallica, Slayer, Dark Angel, Flotsam and Jetsom, Anthrax, Megadeth, Carnivore, Nuclear Assault. There are alot more but those come to mind right now.

No no no... even those bands aren't really speed metal....

Kreator
Destruction
Hirax
Onslaught

That's what I considered speed metal back in the 80's.

Originally posted by TheGraveDigger
Iron Maiden pure speed metal? That's a new one. Some of those bands above have speed elements like Gamma Ray but most of that stuff is straight up power metal.

Speed metal bands = old school Metallica, Slayer, Dark Angel, Flotsam and Jetsom, Anthrax, Megadeth, Carnivore, Nuclear Assault. There are alot more but those come to mind right now.

Yes, I included Pure Speed/Power Metal Bands and some Bands with elements of Pure Speed/Power Metal. I don't think anyone should be close minded to just one particular Genre of True Metal.

Originally posted by Fangface2k
Yes, I included Pure Speed/Power Metal Bands and some Bands with elements of Pure Speed/Power Metal. I don't think anyone should be close minded to just one particular Genre of True Metal.

Nobody said that, the person just asked for bands that were pure speed metal.

Originally posted by xenophobe
No no no... even those bands aren't really speed metal....

Kreator
Destruction
Hirax
Onslaught

That's what I considered speed metal back in the 80's.

I never heard of Hirax but yep the other three definetly are true speed metal.

To me, speed metal is a stupid genre. It can be bands from either power or thrash genres.

So I don't use that genre... just power or thrash.

And generally thrash is faster, so... Kreator, Slayer, Metallica, Sodom, Anthrax, Exodus, all of the other ones...

It's extreme death metal...

Apparently punk riffs, death vocals, and blast beats.

So like... if a death metal band is mid-paced, you know it can't be grindcore.... easy enough I reckon...

Carcass is considered Grindcore... it's mid paced.... at least a considerable amount of it is...

WTF?

Pig Destroyer.... another grindcore band... sounds like Death Metal... So does Hateplow...

[edit] So does Cephalic Carnage... another Death Metal band that calls themself Grindcore.

Fucking stupid...

Kreator, Destruction and Onslaught are definitely thrash.

And yes pure grindcore doesn't sound like death metal (unless you're deaf) but most bands today mix the two genres.

Carcass were almost purely grindcore on their first release (Reek of Putrefaction) but the metal influences started to creep in on their second release already. By Necroticism, most of the grindcore is gone and there's none of it in Heartwork except few blastbeats here and there.

I second Helstar on the speed metal recommendation.

If u want speed/death/grind get the new Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines or Hate Eternal - King Of All Kings...
Speed metal (as in high pitched vox and fast music), try Helloween, or even Rhapsody is pretty fast (even though it has symphonic elements)...ot the best power/speed metal album of all time - Painkiller by Judas Fucking Priest !!!

I forgot about Onslaught -- Power from HELL! That's some good shit. Others --

Viking
RedRum
Some Annihilator
Some Accept

I think my favorite speed was Flot's No Place for Disgrace -- Dreams of Death, N.E. Terror, P.A.A.B.

:headbang:

Call it thrash, call it speed, it's all great.

Yeah, Onslaught was cool. I'd even go as far as saying Megadeth's first album Killing is my Buisness, and Forbidden - Forbidden Evil... though very thrashy and old school, very fast for their time....

Hey everyone forgot Helloween! Lol...ok well the new stuff is not 'speed metal', but when kai was on vocals back in the Judas days it was considered speedmetal. Then kiske came and power metal was brought into more of a exsistance.

Tho this could probably be argued from here to mars.

Satan

What a bunch of morons. :| Motorhead created what is known as TRUE speed metal. some true speed metal bands are: venom, atomkraft, rogue male, warfare, tank, hellhammer, midnight, baphomets blood, gehennah, impaler, avenger, raven, inepsy, first 2 running wild albums, speedwolf, voivod...