I need album recommendations for the following bands:
  • Chimaira
  • Death
  • Exodus
  • Judas Priest
  • Opeth
  • Overkill
  • Testament
Also, it would be cool if you could recommend any other good thrash or death metal bands.

Cheers.

At least this thread is mildly specific...

Chimaira - Nothing, they're shit and an abomination
Death - Scream Blood Gore, Leprosy and Human in particular, but I like all of them to some degree
Exodus - Bonded By Blood foremost, Pleasures Of The Flesh and Fabulous Disaster
Judas Priest - all but Turbo and Demolition, but Sad Wings Of Destiny, Stained Class, Hell Bent For Leather, Screaming For Vengeance and Painkiller in particular
Opeth - Orchid and Morningrise
Overkill - Feel The Fire, Taking Over, The Years Of Decay and Horrorscope
Testament - The Legacy and The New Order

Thrash:

Holy Terror, Heathen, Holy Moses (Finished With The Dogs), Hypnosia, Hallows Eve, Hades (US), Hatework for the letter H

Death:

Entombed, Nihilist, Dismember, Grave, Unleashed, Carnage, Exruciate, Funebre, Nocturnus, Atheist, etc.

Since I have the most material from these 3 I'll do these and let other folks do the rest

Death individual thought patterns( features Andy Larocque from King Diamond) I've spinned this quite a few times and to this day I'd ahve to say its my favorite from Death.Really heavy but very progressive and melodic.

Control Denied- fragile art of existence (C.Schlinder the guitarsit of Death has some power metal dude on vocals)

Testament-Gathering Chuck does some good low vocals on this one and its one of the heaviest of the later discs.

Judas Priest-hell bent for leather Good variety of songs in that they dont all sound alike for a metal band.There's a huge amount of Priest thats great but I'll let the others folks fill in.

If you like thrash you will like Sabbat from Japan, especially their album Karisma, which is a pretty awesome mix of venom inspired thrash, a little black metal sometimes, absurd vocals, and one of those things the bitch from Throne of Blood strums on \m/

* Death: Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy and Human
* Exodus: Bonded by Blood
* Judas Priest: Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class
* Opeth: Orchid, Morningrise, Still Life
* Overkill: Feel the Fire, Taking Over, Under the Influence
* Testament: The Legacy

Death-Human,Spiritual Healing. Really all death is great regardless what the band is doing.
Exodus-Bonded By Blood, everything else from the band is crap.
Judas Priest-Stained Class,Painkiller.
Opeth-Blackwater Park,My Arms Your Hearse,Still Life
Overkill-Taking Over,The Years of Decay
Testament-The Legacy

* Death: Scream Bloody Gore
* Exodus: Bonded by Blood
* Judas Priest: Unleashed in the East
* Opeth: Morningrise
* Overkill: Feel the Fire, Taking Over, Under the Influence, The Years of Decay
* Testament: The Legacy

* Chimaira: Like Doden said, don't waste your time

* Death: Symbolic, Leprosy, Spiritual Healing, Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Scream Bloody Gore and then The Sound of Perserverance (in that order)

* Exodus: Bonded by Blood. But there are countless better thrash albums out there.
* Judas Priest: Stained Class, Sad Wings of Destiny, Screaming for Vengeance, British Steel, Painkiller and get Turbo for the title track.

* Opeth: Morningrise, Orchid, Blackwater Park (then the rest if need be)

* Overkill: Feel the Fire, Taking Over

* Testament: The New Order, The Legacy, The Ritual (for something different) and The Gathering.

Death metal: At the Gates, Necrophobic, Morbid Angel and Arghoslent
Thrash: Slayer, Drunkard, Kreator, Megadeth and Sodom.

judas priest-hell bent for leather
death-spiritual healing
testament-new world order
exodus-fabulous disaster
overkill-feel the fire
morbid angel-altars of madness is classic death metal album to check out.

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Death - pretty much any album
Testament - Practice What You Preach, The Legacy
Exodus - Bonded by Blood, Fabulous Disaster, Tempo of the Damned
Opeth - Still Life

Other Thrash bands: Sacred Reich, Sodom, Destruction, Slayer, Nuclear Assault , DRI (albums from Crossover and after that.. nothing before Crossover) , Vio-Lence, Dark Angel, Whiplash, Forbidden, Megadeth (up to R.I.P album) early Metallica (up to MOP), etc....

Death Metal: Behemoth

For Death, you could start with the old early death metal records or the newer progressive technical ones. I feel that Human is the perfect mix of the two. ITP is too wanky, and the ones before Human aren't all that unique sounding (maybe for the time they were special, but they don't hold up so well today.) Scream Bloody Gore is still worth a listen just to hear one of the first DM albums. Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance are good albums but each song is basically played twice with some sort of interlude or extended solo in between. Still, these are fun albums. Human is much more concise.

For Opeth, start with Morningrise and Blackwater Park. These are the best of the older style and the best of the new. From there you can go to any other album really. Blackwater Park was probably my first real extreme metal album and it blew me away. I still think it's great. Be wary of becoming too much of a fanboy. That isn't looked upon well here. You might end up hating Opeth like some people do, though.

I don't know too much about thrash or traditional, but people here know what they're talking about.

Wot.....no Killers?

Killers.jpg

Death: Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Spiritual Healing
Exodus: Bonded by Blood, Tempo of the Damned
Judas Priest: Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, Painkiller
Opeth: Morningrise, Still Life, My Arms,Your Hearse, Orchid
Overkill: Horrorscope, The Years of Decay
Testament: The Gathering, Low, The Legacy, Practice What You Preach, The New Order