Spent the day with the Dalai Lama...and James Hetfield

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Strange but true, albeit at a distance.

I see the Dalai Lama whenever I can (teachings, talks, etc.), as I've been studying Tibetan Buddhism for about 7 years now. Anyway, he was in Berkeley today. I went, and lo and behold, one James Hetfield was in the crowd a few rows ahead of me. I didn't bug him. I saw him at the last Dalai Lama event in San Francisco too. I actually live near him (about 10 miles or so), so I see him from time to time. Last time I was getting off a plane from Europe that he and Lars were also on (before Death Magnetic was released). My wife, James and his wife, and Lars were the first ones to the luggage return.

Weird.

Anyway, he lives in San Rafael, CA, north of the Golden Gate Bridge. So does Lars. Strangely, I also live about 10 miles from the members of the Grateful Dead, Sammy Hagar (I've run into him too), Van Morrison, Sean Penn, George Lucas (also Skywalker Ranch), Huey Lewis, Carlos Santana, Elliot Gould, Steve Perry, Neal Schon, and more besides. They all live in a group of small towns that are connected (Ross, Fairfax, San Rafael, etc.), but with relatively small populations. I live in a small town called Lagunitas.

Kirk Hammett lives in San Francisco in a house you can drive right up too, no gate or anything...it's right near a public beach.

Again, weird.

Strange but true, albeit at a distance.

I see the Dalai Lama whenever I can (teachings, talks, etc.), as I've been studying Tibetan Buddhism for about 7 years now. Anyway, he was in Berkeley today. I went, and lo and behold, one James Hetfield was in the crowd a few rows ahead of me. I didn't bug him. I saw him at the last Dalai Lama event in San Francisco too. I actually live near him (about 10 miles or so), so I see him from time to time. Last time I was getting off a plane from Europe that he and Lars were also on (before Death Magnetic was released). My wife, James and his wife, and Lars were the first ones to the luggage return.

Weird.

Anyway, he lives in San Rafael, CA, north of the Golden Gate Bridge. So does Lars. Strangely, I also live about 10 miles from the members of the Grateful Dead, Sammy Hagar (I've run into him too), Van Morrison, Sean Penn, George Lucas (also Skywalker Ranch), Huey Lewis, Carlos Santana, Elliot Gould, Steve Perry, Neal Schon, and more besides. They all live in a group of small towns that are connected (Ross, Fairfax, San Rafael, etc.), but with relatively small populations. I live in a small town called Lagunitas.

Kirk Hammett lives in San Francisco in a house you can drive right up too, no gate or anything...it's right near a public beach.

Again, weird.

Thanks for sharing that story man, that is pretty fucking cool.

\,,/

Ruben