Sperzel Locking Tuners max String-Gauge?

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys,

I'm sure someone here knows whats the max. String-size that fits through the Sperzel-Holes. I play GHS TNT-sets (10-52) in D-standart but I would like to switch to thicker strings. I like my strings tight :D

Will the GHS Wylde-set (10-60) fit?

You should call Sperzel. They have great customer service and are very helpful when it comes down to every little detail on their products. FWIW Their tuners are cheaper if you order directly from them as opposed to most dealers.

I bought a six string set for a 7-string guitar and got a single from them, told them the string size and they drilled it for the larger string size for free

That's the "Lo"-Version... The regular has a .60.

Exactly. Well, I like the upper strings very tight and I'm fine with .10, .13 and .17 on the lower ones. I played the TNT's almost exclusively for the last few years - just wanted to try something new :)

Actually I haven't even thought about contacting their customer-support (and I don't even know why *haha*). I'm going to write them tomorrow and post their answer here, in case anyone is wondering.

Somebody not too long ago was selling these tuners *7 string version* and he had to have the low B custom routed to fit a .70 in, so it wont fit 70+ without a modification!

I used to play in B with a set of regular Sperzels, and had to have the lowest one routed in order to fit a .060-ish gauge string. They did it for free at the factory, and when I talked to Jim (I think it was Jim?) Sperzel himself, he was really nice.

But if I was doing it again I'd probably get locking tuners with a higher gear ratio, just throwing that out there.

Somebody not too long ago was selling these tuners *7 string version* and he had to have the low B custom routed to fit a .70 in, so it wont fit 70+ without a modification!

.70 for low B? Woah, I'm using .56 for low A in my 7 string.

When I first tried to fit a 0.60 it didn't go through, what you need to do is just take a small drill and make it a little bigger.

I did that in a few seconds and its really easy.

Exactly. Well, I like the upper strings very tight and I'm fine with .10, .13 and .17 on the lower ones. I played the TNT's almost exclusively for the last few years - just wanted to try something new :)

Just FYI, the "top" strings actually refers to the ones higher in pitch (.10, .13, and .17 in this case) - I know it seems nitpicky, but it's important to avoid confusion!

Just FYI, the "top" strings actually refers to the ones higher in pitch (.10, .13, and .17 in this case) - I know it seems nitpicky, but it's important to avoid confusion!

Haha, I knew someone's gonna nag about it :D
Sorry, I'm always confused myself, of course you're right, Marcus.

Okay, .58 is the highes gauge that will fit without modification. I don't know if I have the nerves to drill it myself.

@Morgan:
I'm pretty happy with my Sperzels. They stay in tune and they look very cool and well, my EC-1000 already came with 'em :D
But I'm planning on buying another set of Locking Tuners for another guitar. Which set would you suggest?