Spinal Tap

Occam's Razor

Andreas - LotFP
Feb 19, 2002
Ste-Adèle, Quebec
Götz Kühnemund critiques Joey DeMaio and his band in the latest Rock Hard issue. Joey is pissed - Read the ending of the talk and have a laugh:

J: I believe in the fans and I believe in metal - more than anybody you have ever met, and you've been knowing me for a long time now. I've never pissed on you although you keep pissing on me all the time. I never turn my back onto the fans, and another thing: Götz, I am ready to die for metal, and you?

G: Well...

J: Are you ready to die for metal? Are you ready to die? Have you ever thought about it? Are you ready to die for metal???

G: Nope, I live for it.

J: But I am ready! I am ready to die for it!

G: Great Joey.

J: Shall I prove it?

G: How, if I may ask?

J: Do you want to come on stage in Dortmund and shoot me?

G: I actually did not want to go this far...

J: Why not???

G: I'd rather like if if you simply made good music.

J: I make good music. I write the best music I can write. I play the best music I can play - okay?

G: Okay.

J: I'm ready to die, keep that in mind! And when you're ready for it: fine, let me know. Write this! Write that I am ready to die, and you not. Write this!

Well, he already lost an eye for metal... or was that to metal?

That was really the most entertaining thing I read in that mag since long.
They played with an orchestra at German Earthshaker Festival - the orchestra was entirely playback! And he insists it was for real despite sound technicians telling Rock Hard otherwise.

I'm glad DeMaio said this and I'm glad there's a band that's created an atmosphere around themselves where somebody saying this fits into that atmosphere.

I can't quite put it into words that would make sense, I guess it's along the lines of "for those who understand, no explanation is necessary, for those that don't understand, no explanation will do."

For a band that releases an album with a 28 minute mythological epic as the first song after the explosion of grunge, for a band in 1996 to release an album and say "We are true heavy metal, fuck the false ones" all leathered up riding motorcycles... to do everything they do whether it is part of a larger movement or whether it's the most gaudy, silly, unfashionable thing walking the Earth... why can't DeMaio say "I will die for heavy metal" without taking a ton of shit?

Give me a million musicians who will say "Write that I'm ready to die for metal and you're not!" and all the ridicule that the genre would receive because of it before you give me one more musician who says "We don't want to be known as just a heavy metal band." or complaining that the term heavy metal is somehow too limiting for some reason ($$) or another.

As far as the orchestra thing, the question still remains: Why would Manowar bring in an orchestra to pretend to play? If the band's as money hungry as previously accused (by this same guy, right?), beinging in 200 or however many pretend performers seems like a gigantic waste of money.

Not saying DeMaio's not so delusional as to go to that length to create the perfect spectacle for the band, but still...

I have to say that I really love Manowar up to Triumph of Steel, but they audibly run out of creativity.

The orchestra was not miked at all, and the band went full blast trough the PA, yet you still could hear the strings fully embedded in the whole sound. I guess the band has just overestimated their own capabilities during the last couple of years. They are a product more than a band with all these merchanidse bits and inflated DVD releases.

I was told they even did not write their last album on their own, but I can't believe it and wouldn't know where that should come from...

Jim LotFP said:
For a band that releases an album with a 28 minute mythological epic as the first song after the explosion of grunge, for a band in 1996 to release an album and say "We are true heavy metal, fuck the false ones" all leathered up riding motorcycles... to do everything they do whether it is part of a larger movement or whether it's the most gaudy, silly, unfashionable thing walking the Earth... why can't DeMaio say "I will die for heavy metal" without taking a ton of shit?
HAIL AND KILL!!!!!!