Spiral Architect

optionthree

Better than the first two
Dec 23, 2008
Calgary, AB
Just finished listening to A Sceptic's Universe again, and I'm convinced this has to be one of the greatest albums ever written, enough so to warrant its own topic. Hopefully someday they'll actually get a second album done.

Discuss.

Definitely an excellent album. I like just about everything on it, and especially when some different color is thrown in to round things out, like the 'Occam's Razor' intro thing that Sean Malone does with the synths behind it or the quiet section in 'Cloud Constructor'. But by no means do I want the next album to be filled with that kind of thing and try to do the same that many prog albums do..hopefully their textures can still sound pretty fresh. If I had to complain about anything it would be about the vocals, sometimes his delivery and tone can be strange and awkward sounding, other times it works well. The actual vocal melodies are great. Have you heard the Twisted Into Form album? It's the former singer and a couple of other former members of SA, with the drummer of Extol, it's in the same vein and is also a really good album.

I have it, but it has yet to really hit me the way ASU has. It took a long time for that to happen, though, so it'll probably continue to grow on me.

I should mention that the first Spiral Architect demo is really good, too. It has Leif from Twisted Into Form and he does a great job. The cover of Prelude to Ruin also smokes.

I love ASU, really really awesome album. At first I hated Oyvind's vocals but now I find them amazingly fitting. Twisted into Form is also good, btw.

Eh...I love Death, Cynic, Control Denied and This album just seems to be Technical for the sake of being technical..I gave it a spin last night for the first time in years and it's funny this thread was started..I could never get into the album I usually shut it off half way through.

My number one problem with this album is the vocals...They sound terrible..and the bass is way to distracting. I love my bass in music..but it sounds like shit here.

Gave it another spin before work just now...I like certain songs..

Fountainhead, Conuring Collapse, Cloud Constructor, insect

One of the most unbelievably technical albums ever recorded. Absolutely technical for the sake of being technical, and extremely pretentious...but I enjoy it tons for that very sake, oddly enough.

IntoPhagist, I have to disagree with you. Later Death is very pretentious and technical and I feel it has less reason to be than Spiral Architect does. I think SA makes it work whereas stuff like The Sound of Perseverance doesn't...it just sounds rigid and silly, whereas I feel SA pulled off being ridiculously technical in a more fitting way.

I think it's the most technical album I've heard, and I listen to a lot of tech/prog.

Negative.

Well, it'd be cool for you to explain why you think the stupid sounding, jerky and rigid pseudo-transitions in plenty of the songs (Scavenger of Human Sorrow is a good one to start with) "work for the better" and advance to song to a "goal". I think SA pretty much writes very fluid songs tbh.

I see TSOP as a nice dose of heavy THRASH with maybe occasionally awkward instrumentals. The one place I kind of roll my eyes is when the 'every instrument stops and the bass starts playing' thing shows up in two different songs around the same part. I just think it's good progressive thrash. It's much more thrash in a true sense than just about all of the new-old thrash bands coming out (like Warbringer, et al). Immortal has a very true influence too that comes through in the last two they had put out, but people don't really make note of that sort of thing because Immortal is supposed to be known as a black metal band and Death is supposed to be known as death metal (despite not being that for a number of albums), et al, et al.....but to me sounds like that are where thrash could and should go, instead of the lame retro stuff happening now and the old bands playing groove schlock. But it's odd to compare SA and Death anyway, the approach on 'A Sceptic's Universe' is far less traditional than what Death shows on their last album..to avoid a lot of geeky music-speak and get to the point, Death used many modes, signatures, and tempos which were already common for metal and for Death especially, and hung all the bells and whistles they could fit without completely changing them. SA starts, transitions, and stops in typically unorthodox ways altogether.

now to go back on track with thread....

The one song that drags a bit for me is 'Fountainhead', which is odd since I've seen many people list it as their favorite, but eh.

Also, the opening of 'White Walls' by Between The Buried And Me sounds just a littttttle bit too much like 'Adaptability' on 'ASU'..the kick is switched around a little, but it definitely seems like the band copped the feel of that section...just a little tidbit I've observed..

The Sound of Perseverance is one of the most emotional, progressive albums ever...It's the guitar tone/lyrics that really put that album ahead of almost any metal album.

In My Opinion you just said an average Tech Metal album is better then THE Greatest Metal album of all time.

Not one song on ASU has feeling..

Check out songs like Story to Tell, Voice of the Soul, Moment of Clarity, Spirit Crusher, Flesh and the Power it Holds....Voice of the Soul is so sad.

I haven't heard the Spiral Architect album, but that Death album's primary emotion seems to be rampant and primal homosexual lust.

I very much disagree with the notion that only more negative or depressive feelings are equal to a definition of 'emotion'....music listeners should really bury that idea where it belongs.

I honestly can't think of any real reason to respect him.

And I don't respect you has a fellow metal fan. How can someone not like Death or Chuck in general..He was the forfather of death metal and basically invented Melodic Death Metal..Every album got more progressive and technical..Every album got lyrically better. Almost any band post 90 respected and named Chuck as an influence.