Spiral Architect

I like the album more then I did years ago..Still don't think it compares to Death albums, Cynic including Traced in Air, Atheist and Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients...Hell even That new Obscura album is better crafted. I just think the songs are to random.

As much as I dislike them, I believe that honor goes to Possessed.
He didnt invent melodic death metal either... I dont know where you pulled that from.

The thing about ASU is that it takes a loooong time to comprehend, but once you start putting it together and making sense of it, it becomes clear how brilliantly composed it is. Every section has a purpose, and all the different elements contribute to the greater whole. There's an insane amount of intentional technicality, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that these are, at their heart, exceptionally composed songs. Compare this album to something like the Behold... the Arctopus album, which was literally just random notes with no meaning, and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: Another band that demonstrates a level of compositional skill close to SA's level is Zero Hour... another great band any Watchtower fan should look into.

Zero Hour is much more about taking very *defined* stretches of technical parts and putting them together in less quantity, but indeed, exceptional songs. One of my favorite bands and a very good example of how many of the best will fall under the radar because too many radars are tuned to suck.

Spiral Architect's A Sceptic's Universe is probably my favourite tech metal album. Everything seems to fit so well compositionally and technically.

Death's TSOP album is filled with too many start-stops which prevents it to be an album that is compositionally great. It has some nice melodies and riffs in it though. If it were up to me to decide a better Death album it would be Individual Thought Patterns or Human.

The thing about ASU is that it takes a loooong time to comprehend, but once you start putting it together and making sense of it, it becomes clear how brilliantly composed it is. Every section has a purpose, and all the different elements contribute to the greater whole. There's an insane amount of intentional technicality, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that these are, at their heart, exceptionally composed songs. Compare this album to something like the Behold... the Arctopus album, which was literally just random notes with no meaning, and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: Another band that demonstrates a level of compositional skill close to SA's level is Zero Hour... another great band any Watchtower fan should look into.

Good man

And now we shall discuss WatchTower for a few posts.

As unorthodox as SA can be, guitar-wise they still don't approach the bizarre quality of Ron Jarzombek's work on 'Control and Resistance'. I have to dig to detect a full blues scale (this is a good thing).

Yeah, Ron's got this refreshingly unique style. You can instantly recognize one of his riffs or solos. C&R is fantastic, and Blotted Science and his solo album are also excellent. Spastic Ink is a little more hit or miss, mainly because the samples on the second one get annoying fast.

I still have to hear Blotted Science... :oops:

I had 'Ink Compatible', but the reason I traded it off was because there was just nothing memorable in it. I want to hear the debut, but that's a little further down the list since I didn't like the second one. He stretches out well on Gordian Knot, too, turns all the dissonant tendencies into these vivid and more airy kind of soundscapes.

Spiral Architect Sceptics Universe is a very good tech album, it's one of the few with vocals that are actually tolerable. Spastic Ink
Ink Complete is awesome, and Compatible would be probably better than Complete IF we had access to a version with the vocals removed.

itt I will pimp Twisted Into Form as I did in the albums one.

TwistedIntoForm-ThenComesAffliction.jpg

I always wonder why this album doesn't get more attention. The general vibe and lyrical scope goes in a different direction than a lot of technical/progressive metal (a lot of the album can tend to sound sort of..I don't know, smoky, lamenting?), and if you're just a tech/prog freak, well, there's plenty of that here too, but again an individual sound..the rhythm guitars are big and fat and the harmonies are not as over-the-top in dissonance as one would expect. Great songs on here.

^ one of the more what-you-would-expect kind of songs from the album, but I guess it's a good introduction. I wish I could find 'Thin Layers Of Lust And Love' or 'Flutter Kings'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Torrents does it for me, love that song.

Plunge into these darkest waters
Enter desire
Float in deathlike orchestrations
Another attempt
To reach a little higher