splatt's 5150 off center impulse

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
Hi probably a daft question but is the 5150 off center impulse of the 5150 and cab or just the head ?
If its both im guessing i just have to feed some sort of distortion pedal/effect
before this ?

cheers guys

You cannot simulate distortion via impulse response ... that should answer your question!
I think he uses the amp return as input while recording the impulses...
*edit* got your question a bit wrong ... it is not simulating the preamp! you need a preamp, amp modeler maybe even just a distortion pedal could work...

Yup I know u can't sim distortion but he could have done the impulse using the pre amp on a clean setting, i have impulses of amp heads like the jcm 2000 but its from a clean channel so u really just have to put a distortion pedal infront of that,

Ive tried using impulse files of just cabs and putting a distortion before it but its soundS rubbish u def need to use a pre amp or head if ur only using the impulse of a cab.

The file name 5150 off center makes me think he has captured the head but im unsure.

The "off center" thing is related to mic placement.
I use those impulses on my Pod, and they work great, you need to record, from example, with a distortion pedal to a DI of some sort or mic pre to DAW, and then apply the impulse as an insert effect ( Voxengo boogex is free)
It works for me

Yeah I know the off on axis is related to the mic position its just Splatts files r all Cab impulses bar this one ?
which leads me to believe he has captured the 5150 with the cab in this instance.

I use pristine space for my impulses not tried boogex but they probably both do the same thing.

I have the simanalog stuff but i get much better results pluggin into my amp then going from my fx loop out into my soundcard then right into a decent cab impulse. I actually prefer to using two instances of pristine space mixing an off axis and on axis file sounds alot fatter im sure splatt has a clip somewhere were he used 3 cab impluses mixed using the pod as the pre.

AHH! found my answer it was on this forum all along argh

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237712

Splatt - There's also a clip of my 5150's fx out plugged directly into my computer with the impulse file simulation on it as well.

So technically id get away with using a distortion pedal pluggin right into this impulse i wonder how close this comes to an actual miced 5150 hmm

There isnt enough of this stuff going around if i had the gear id give it a shot.