Splice

Sentient 6

harmless parasite
Jan 16, 2006
everywhere yet nowhere
Right off the bat this felt like a Cronenberg film and as a result all I could think was how it would have been had he directed it. However, after all the lame remakes that have come down the pike as of late this film really stands out. Not highly original, in fact it's a cross between It's Alive and Species, but it's done in a way that makes it seems fresh. The moral and scientific ethics issues get a bit heavy handed but this is one of the best films I've seen this year. You know when you still think about it hours and days after you've seen it that they did something right. I would love to put out spoilers because I'm known for giving away too much to my friends after I've seen a film, but I'm holding my tongue, there is some twisted and wrong shit going on in this.

Seems like it'll be a thought provoking film that doesn't take itself *too* seriously, from your description. I think I might check it out.

Wasn't as good as I expected. It never really touches any of the ideas it puts out there and the ending was not so good. I think it's managed to trick people into liking it, though.

Why would it do such a thing?

Well, I think if you can make a movie people like then you don't need to worry about anything else. Maybe I'm too exacting or maybe just didn't get it, but for me the movie doesn't really work, although I can see why people would think it does.

Oh. I was being facetious, but you do make a good point. Personal appreciation is the ultimate goal of any storytelling (or should be).

I enjoyed the film. It had a few minors problems but that didn't detract from my enjoyment of it. Sarah polley should be the new queen of horror as she always seem to pick out good roles for herself when she takes the scifi/horror jobs.
LOL at all of the hipster/goth scientists.