Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
With the World Cup driving so many into a frenzy, I think its a good time to pose this question: has Sport become, for all intensive purposes, the new religion of most of the western world's male population (and partly female)?

There are a variety of reasons why I make this contention. First, watching or following sport has become a ritual-like function for so many--almost like going to church. Fans have their superstitions, prayers, and wild faith. Second, modern athletes create miracles on the field, that no ordinary person could accomplish. This just serves to renew ones faith in the power of sport. Third, sport is a universal language with a set of rules all must follow and understand--sort of like the bible or religious code--and this universal language also produces a community of the faithful, who can gather and reaffirm their faith.

Finally, in most of the western world (not the USA), religion has become obsolete. I think only 11-15% of Europeans attend church services, and the number is similar for the Japanese and the Chinese. Has sport replaced religion as a tangible alternative?

Is sport not simply a replacement for "the hunt" that our ancestors endured for thousands of generations? Or, perhaps it's simply a way to vent the inherent "us against them" attitude that's part of our evolutionary journey?

Every culture throughout history has enjoyed sports, in one form or another. If nothing else, it's part of the human picture.

I think MORE weight is added to it today due to the extreme wealth that athletes now have. The salaries of sports stars in America has grown exponentially in recent years and has far surpassed the growth experienced by other sectors of economy. Men desire to BE the heroes more than ever and women wish to be with them now, more than ever.

Sport is also just good entertainment, and a way to escape the harsh realities we all face on a daily basis. The Roman gladiator sports were meant for the same purpose. Of course sports have become a far more important event in human culture these days, but I believe that is also a symptom of the world we find ourselves in here in the 21st Century.

SoundMaster said:
Is sport not simply a replacement for "the hunt" that our ancestors endured for thousands of generations? Or, perhaps it's simply a way to vent the inherent "us against them" attitude that's part of our evolutionary journey?

Every culture throughout history has enjoyed sports, in one form or another. If nothing else, it's part of the human picture.

I think MORE weight is added to it today due to the extreme wealth that athletes now have. The salaries of sports stars in America has grown exponentially in recent years and has far surpassed the growth experienced by other sectors of economy. Men desire to BE the heroes more than ever and women wish to be with them now, more than ever.

I was more or less interested in the spectators/fans of sport. But you raise some interesting ideas.

Demilich said:
also a convenient way to rid the Empire of assorted criminals, deviants and Christians am i rite?

Yes, that too. Which gives me an idea....pedophile gladiator sports on pay per view...

speed said:
I was more or less interested in the spectators/fans of sport. But you raise some interesting ideas.

I think it's the same thing. The average "fan" isn't good enough to participate, but he's vicariously a 'part of the team' simply through his overzealous cheerleading.
Witness the European football brawls over the years, or take a seat in the Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park bleechers (the cheap seats, where the people most prone to this sort of behavior sit) at a Red Sox-Yankees game.....the violence is unreal.

SoundMaster said:
I think it's the same thing. The average "fan" isn't good enough to participate, but he's vicariously a 'part of the team' simply through his overzealous cheerleading.
Witness the European football brawls over the years, or take a seat in the Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park bleechers (the cheap seats, where the people most prone to this sort of behavior sit) at a Red Sox-Yankees game.....the violence is unreal.

Not unlike religiously motivated violence or mob-like mentality, hey?

How about Zidane's headbutt? I've read apparently the Italian player was making ethnic and religious slurs, that spurred Zidane's ram-like charge. But is this a good excuse?

And on that note, I'm not a huge football fan, but watching Zidane (although he wasnt as great on Sunday as he had been in the previous matches) was like watching the best football player ever. Im still no expert, but the guy seemed like he could do anything with the soccer ball.

speed said:
How about Zidane's headbutt? I've read apparently the Italian player was making ethnic and religious slurs, that spurred Zidane's ram-like charge. But is this a good excuse?

And on that note, I'm not a huge football fan, but watching Zidane (although he wasnt as great on Sunday as he had been in the previous matches) was like watching the best football player ever. Im still no expert, but the guy seemed like he could do anything with the soccer ball.

This isn't a sport site.

BigJim said:
Sorry dude! Didn't mean to fuck up your day! I'd delete the post if I could! :p

No, I may have overstepped the bounds with the sport thread myself; especially as no one--including myself--is bothering with the philosophical questions I raised.

Thus, I'll close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.