Spotify Just Discovered That Heavy Metal Is More Popular Than Pop Music

there's such a huge difference between popularity and "loyalty" which those charts are actually measuring. it basically says that metal fans are the most close minded musically which everyone already knows.

This.

This is actually a bad thing in my opinion. Despite the kind term "loyalty".

Bah not agree with you two guys! the article says that labels should pay more attention to metal since is alive and well and sells well (not as much as pop music though)
Don't get me started on close minded... now tell me if a lady gaga or katy perry fan would listen to classical music? jazz ?? blues??
I'll find you many guys who besides metal listen to a lot more stuff.
You're picturing the metal crowd as the ones who just listen to metal, when in reality is not like this.

btw :fu:

The article says a lot of shit the data does not support. What the DATA shows is that metal fans are loyal, unchanging, and will listen to metal and only metal.

You're picturing the metal crowd as ones who listen to more than just metal, when in reality (as the data shows), is not like this. btw :fu:

Bah not agree with you two guys! the article says that labels should pay more attention to metal since is alive and well and sells well (not as much as pop music though)
Don't get me started on close minded... now tell me if a lady gaga or katy perry fan would listen to classical music? jazz ?? blues??
I'll find you many guys who besides metal listen to a lot more stuff.
You're picturing the metal crowd as the ones who just listen to metal, when in reality is not like this.

btw :fu:

Of course there are lots of metal fans who listen to the other genres than just metal (me included), but honestly there is some truth in the statement that metal fans can be pretty close minded (for example those guys who like to bash 'core stuff and all the metal elitists). Though like pretty much everything this isn't just all black and white, no need to take the heat (and by that you have pretty much proven the point :lol:). I bet there are many people that listen to both Katy Perry and classical music, why should liking one genre or artist deny you from listening to the another one?

The article says a lot of shit the data does not support. What the DATA shows is that metal fans are loyal, unchanging, and will listen to metal and only metal.

You're picturing the metal crowd as ones who listen to more than just metal, when in reality (as the data shows), is not like this. btw :fu:

I don't know..... the article says this
As this Spotify data shows, metal is a global business, and metalheads are everywhere. The mainstream media and greater music industry are only hurting themselves by ignoring and belittling this rich vein of hugely dedicated, internationally-based fans, most of whom are more than prepared to shell out as much cash as they can on merchandise, print magazines, and physical music. Metal doesn't need them, but as streaming services continue doling out pennies and sales of physical music continue to fall, they just may find that they need metal... and it sure can't hurt for them to treat it—and by extension, us—with a bit more respect until that fateful day comes.

p.s.
Sorry but I love the middle finger emoticon lol kudos to the guy who designed it
:fu:

Vihaleipä;11013336 said:
Of course there are lots of metal fans who listen to the other genres than just metal (me included), but honestly there is some truth in the statement that metal fans can be pretty close minded (for example those guys who like to bash 'core stuff and all the metal elitists). Though like pretty much everything this isn't just all black and white, no need to take the heat (and by that you have pretty much proven the point :lol:). I bet there are many people that listen to both Katy Perry and classical music, why should liking one genre or artist deny you from listening to the another one?

well the more I talk to people listening to pop/commercial music the more they just like this kind of "fast food" music
Btw you're all wrong so please we should stop it here :devil::D:D:D:D

p.s. kidding btw :Spin: ;)

well the more I talk to people listening to pop/commercial music the more they just like this kind of "fast food" music
Btw you're all wrong so please we should stop it here :devil::D:D:D:D

p.s. kidding btw :Spin: ;)

Those are usually the kind of people that aren't really interested in music generally, they literally just listen to what other people listen and what airs from the radio, thats why they listen to the stuff that they think sucks after they've listened to it a few months, but that's just how it is, can't really blame them though as I'm probably not into the stuff they're into generally (for example I couldn't care less about sport games, they've always bored me).

I think the intensity of metal makes it hard for anything else to stack up after a while. Listening to most radio music doesn't make me really feel anything, but well-written metal almost always does. That said, I'd take a Katy Perry record over another copycat death metal record any day of the week. At least one of them can write actual fucking songs.

some of those pop singer's are actually insanely good writers. there's certain parameters you have to kind of have to work in for radio pop music. As annoying as they are, people like Kesha and (gulp) meghan trainor have backgrounds of writing for all sorts of other people from a pretty young age. Also check out Ryan Tedder's credits.

at the end of the day its all music and there's a reason why these highly skilled musicians are limiting how many and which chords they use, conventional song structures, simple melodies and generic lyrics - they know full well what will make a hit and what won't.

EDIT: what's kind of weird in 2015 is how common it is for people to write, or at least co-write for someone else and its spreading across genres. huge amounts of people getting credits for each song where I think before less people would have been trusted to turn a song out.

I would say about half of metalcore records are written by someone other than the band these days.

Seriously? I would never expect that. I thought you'd need a certain sized production budget before you could afford that.

Seriously? I would never expect that. I thought you'd need a certain sized production budget before you could afford that.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the bands that can't afford to not sell albums, not the bedroom/garage warriors.

Pop can be attained through radio, no need to purchase anything special to listen to pop. To listen to metal, a library of metal, one needs a special subscription.

The producer is the one writing it most often in these cases. Sturgis, Putney, Fulk, Mizell, etc, the new crop of metalcore producers all write either with or for the bands that they're producing.