Spotify & the Streaming Reveloution

swany76

May 4, 2008
All right, first off I’m of those guys that has to own the physical product. I don’t buy downloads for the most part. I want the disc with all the artwork and lyrics in my hands. So for the most part when I need my Doom fix at work, I’m shit out of luck cause I’m too lazy to rip the discs to mp3. (I have an ipod that after 4 or 5 years still sits in a box). So today I decide to try this Spotify service I have heard so much about (mostly from metalsucks). I was so happy to find you guys on there and just about 75% of the stuff I own. Now I don’t have to rip my disc’s to mp3, it’s right there. Now what I wonder, did you guys ok the spotify presence, or is that a label choice. Is the royalty of any significant amount for you guys? I guess I figure I’ve already bought the discs, I might as well stream it so you and other bands can get a few extra penny’s in your pocket.

I figured I ‘d like your take on the subject here or on a future podcast. Heck I’d like to hear what others think of this service and others since I’m a newbie to it.

Honestly I don't know much about how the whole Spotify thing works in terms of royalties and what percentage we get, good question. I'm gonna guess it's a pretty minor amount if anything, these days there's just not much we can really do about it. And yes far as I know the label does have to willingly participate in it, I know there are certain labels and artists whose catalogues are not available on there.

And if you wanna donate that iPod you don't use to the needy (i.e. me) give it a consideration hahaha ;) I have a cheap little mp3 player that's like way behind the times, I'm like you man I am so not with it when it comes to the whole modern technology thing, I carry cds around with me still!

Honestly I don't know much about how the whole Spotify thing works in terms of royalties and what percentage we get, good question. I'm gonna guess it's a pretty minor amount if anything, these days there's just not much we can really do about it. And yes far as I know the label does have to willingly participate in it, I know there are certain labels and artists whose catalogues are not available on there.

As an artist who's music is on Spotify, it's a bit less than a half penny per play. Not much but I guess it's better than nothing...