SSD drives in a modern DAW situation

exoslime

Nov 11, 2008
Austria
Hiya,

i´m currently in the conception phase of my new studio DAW-PC, my old one is now 4 years old and ready for retirement.
I have decided on an Intel I7 2700k cpu and 16GB of RAM, running Win7 64Bit and Cubase 6, lots more details aint important yet.

Most of my project has lots of audio material (50-100 Mono Tracks), lots of VST Instruments and of course many many EQs and Effects, etc.

My Plan is to buy 3 SSD Drives
1x for the System and Programms
1x for the 2-3 Songs Projects i´m currently working on
1x for the Sample Librarys i use the most (steven slate drums, acoustic piano, etc...)

and 2 SATA Drives for regular files and song project archive.

does it make sense to have the projects on one ssd, and the sample libraries on another ssd, or does cubase load all the content into the memory anyway and doesnst stream from the content the harddisk?

I really wonder if i´m gonna having some performance benefits when using ssd for both, or if i´m overdooing it with the ssd drives and sata hdds would be also good enough.

your input is very much appreciated

just build a new system with an i7 2600, 16 gb ram win7 64 bit and nuendo 32 bit.
i didn´t feel the need for ssd. just used 3 sata drives (one systen, one audio and one as backup) and i am very happy with them. no complaints so far (except that i hate win7).