ssd ex snare mixing?

LBTM

Proud Behringer User
Feb 19, 2012
anybody have any information on how the snares on ssd ex are mixed?

no prob dude. The Z system is what slate used to describe the sample.

Z1: with Overhead
Z3: no Overhead
Z4: ssd BIG COMPRESSED ROOM
Z5: nrg STUDIO A UNPROCESSED ROOM

Hope this helps.

hmm, i was talking about what eq, comp settings etc he used to mix the snares.

You're going to have a hard time finding that info. I'm pretty sure they were all processed differently anyway, so we might never know that kind of detail. There are a few posts by Steven Slate on the forum where he talks a bit about that, do a search and you might at least get a hint.

That's gonna go with Slate to his grave. To ask for settings is like asking for him to write you a phone-book-length paper (THIS mic, THIS position, THIS eq/compressor with THIS setting... multiply that with how many mics he used per snare)

You're really asking for A LOT.

If you are referring to his ITB chain, i doubt that was a big part, if at all. Most of his sounds are due to:

1. Amazing Drums/Tuning
2. Amazing Rooms
3. Great/Proper Mics
4. Gorgeous Outboard Gear
5. Great Engineering / Great Ear

This statement could be totally false but I always felt like these samples are printed to sound mix ready but yet do take well to subtle/heavy processing in the box. Thats what makes these samples so great, we now have properly tracked drums at our disposal that can be tailored if need be.

There are 1 or 2 really old gearslutz posts where he briefly tells some secrets gear like Audix i5, KM84, lil freq, api 550, distressor, 1176. Powerstroke 3 head I believe. Use big sticks like 2b