SSD4.0 or SD2.0

HunterOh9

New Metal Member
Oct 2, 2011
So I'm looking to upgrade drum replacement software. I have been using aptrigga2 and also ezdrummer for demos only. Aptrigga is really good but it really struggles with velocities and recognizing hits.

I would like to know what everyone is using to get an idea of what the pros and cons could be for these programs.

Because I'm familiar with Ezdrummer and it's interface/features etc, SD2.0 could be the quicker and smoother transition. I have seen the new videos for SSD4.0 and I know many people on this forum do use or have used this software and it looks very good.

Anyways, if anyone can shed some light if you have used both or prefer one and swear by it, let me know why, that would be greatly appreciated.

SSD4 by a longshot. I own SSD3, 4 and SD2 + expansions and SSD is generally more mix-ready, better-sounding and easy to use (with the exception of kontakt). That's not to say SD2 can't sound as good with some elbow grease, that's just my experience/preference.

I dont know why people have so much trouble with Kontatk. I feel like it's pretty straight forward. Get SSD4. It's got basically the same setup at SD2 now but beefier sounds. It's a no-brainer!

The feature I really found useful with ezdrummer drum kit from hell was the vast selection of grooves and easy editing of those grooves. This was very helpful for demos or trying new techniques with tracks. I saw SSD4.0 has a new interface with something similar, but theres not much more info on the slate website than that. How does it vary from the old EZD setup?

The feature I really found useful with ezdrummer drum kit from hell was the vast selection of grooves and easy editing of those grooves. This was very helpful for demos or trying new techniques with tracks. I saw SSD4.0 has a new interface with something similar, but theres not much more info on the slate website than that. How does it vary from the old EZD setup?

more info for those who haven't seen yet:

SSD4 new feature:
- New Deluxe Kits
- New SSD Player (no more Kontakt)
- New Jazz/Brushes
- 100 Preset Drumkits in all styles
- Load your own one shot samples
- New Soultone Cymbals
- New Dance/Urban/Electro Presets

Steven

Last edited by a moderator:
more info for those who haven't seen yet:

SSD4 new feature:
- New Deluxe Kits
- New SSD Player (no more Kontakt)
- New Jazz/Brushes
- 100 Preset Drumkits in all styles
- Load your own one shot samples
- New Soultone Cymbals
- New Dance/Urban/Electro Presets

Steven

This is awesome! Thanks for the info Steve. SSD4.0 it is!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm looking to upgrade drum replacement software.

So are you asking what to choose for

DRUM REPLACEMENT like aptrigga, drumagog or slate trigger

or

DRUM INSTRUMENT like Steven Slate Drums or Superior Drummer

Since those are two totally different things. One is triggered with sound, one is triggered with midi. Similarly to "are you looking for a guitar or a keyboard". Not the same thing.

So are you asking what to choose for

DRUM REPLACEMENT like aptrigga, drumagog or slate trigger

or

DRUM INSTRUMENT like Steven Slate Drums or Superior Drummer

Since those are two totally different things. One is triggered with sound, one is triggered with midi. Similarly to "are you looking for a guitar or a keyboard". Not the same thing.

I have been using aptrigga for some things where drums had been tracked previously but I also needed the new instrument creating software like slate to replace the ezdrummer that I have been using, which I also mentioned. I am aware they are different. Sorry...