St Petersburg growl fest

Anthony said:
Forest stream were disappointing... KATATONIA WERE FANTASTIC!!!

Fuck you man! If you didn't like FS that doesn't mean they were disappointing. Gosh, 95% out of 100% posts of my country-mates (the first classical problem of Russia) make me feel ashamed.

All I can say is as follows:

I enjoyed both gigs very much being a fan of katatonia since 1993. That's why long before the gigs Anders and me decided to play three special bonus songs
1. Rider on the Bonez (this one is of Diabolical Masquerade, Blakkheim's side project)
2. Nowhere (because I LOVE this song and it has never been played live)
3. Without God (coz this is the immortal song) where Jonas and Anders helped me with growls

It was something very special and spicy. I think that was one of the best gigs in my life. Everyone was damn happy and everything has rocked except for some ass holes, which is pretty normal.
Hopefully I'll post some tour pictures if I am allowed!:))))

Daniel L. said:
do you guys want ONLY old songs on the set list or just some??

Well.... mix of old and new songs would be the best I think... there is no sense in playing old stuff only. I think 3-4 old songs in the setlist would be ok :) Hehe... at least play someday Endtime or some other old song instead of Murder ;)

Daniel L. said:
do you guys want ONLY old songs on the set list or just some??

what about palying at least one song from each album?

I read on the updated news that from now on you´ll play a completely new set list! great!!! I´think I had maybe enough of the old set list...now I need something new and I hope I can see you next year as many times as in the last years...

mhh but which was the other birthday you celebrated? the sound engineer´s birthday maybe?

ether said:
what about palying at least one song from each album?

I read on the updated news that from now on you´ll play a completely new set list! great!!! I´think I had maybe enough of the old set list...now I need something new and I hope I can see you next year as many times as in the last years...

mhh but which was the other birthday you celebrated? the sound engineer´s birthday maybe?

yeah ronnie (.com) our dear soundman celebrated his 30:th birthday as well....

there's plenty of reasons, but one being that playing one entire song from each album (especially if u include the mini cd's) would steal too much playingtime from the rest of important songs in the set. Next time we'll play, it's time to focus on the brand new material off the new album and in between those, also try the remaining songs from discouraged ones - viva emptiness we havent ever considered playing live nor rehearsed.

from the pre-brave murder day period, a medley of the highlights is a fair move and should be just as exciting for us to play as for u to hear...

anywayz, keep suggesting! we're listening...

Thanks to everyone for pictures and information regarding the gigs in Russia. It sounds like it was a really good (and unique) time.

As for the setlists...I like what you have suggested, Anders...! (And I'd personally love to see "Quiet World" and "Day" amidst the older songs played, along with the much-requested "Brave".)

I (along with many others in the States) am very much looking forward to experiencing Katatonia live. Hopefully a U.S. tour will be conducted soon...

I can't describe how much I would've liked to have been at this show, and I utterly can't wait for next years touring since the only tour that's come really near me since I've really got into the band was when they played with Daylight Dies (another one of my favourite bands...) and for some inexplicable reason I never made it to any of those shows *slaps self* so this will be the ultimate experience for me. But man...Forest Stream are another one of my favourite bands and to see them and Katatonia on the same gig, and then to actually play together Without God, one of the greatest tracks ever, just sounds indescribably good to me. It is also a dream of mine to see a track from Sounds of Decay played live so for Forest Stream to cover Nowhere too, wow is all I can say...

This new set sounds absolutely fantastic too, it will be really cool and interesting to hear many songs that haven't been played before (since I don't really have much preferance since I just fucking adore every Katatonia track) tho I especially liek the idea of a song or two from EP's...I think it's really cool that the band is listening to fans and doing this and always trying to stay fresh and innovative, and to hear the new songs and their part in a set would be fucking incredible too. Katatonia are without doubt my favourite band, and though I worship every album and can't find a pitfall with any of them, I must say I do prefer the older albums, but this is only because of what my tastes lean to since I listen mostly to doomy stuff and wouldn't normally listen to similar stuff to the later albums, tho it's all just wonderful, so to see any song from that early period (even if it were only Murder) would be absolutely amazing for me, but I think it's totally understandable that that's not what the band plays anymore and it's awesome enough that they will and do play even a small amount of material from then considering how much they've changed and of course the newest album should take precedence and to be honest, this medley just sounds fucking awwwwesome, I can't wait to hear it, see what songs/parts are included, I love the idea of medley's of classic old material...That will more than good enough for me. (tho it would be extra special to see Brave or Rainroom...or At last or Inside the Fall...and a whole bunch of other sutff ;) )

The only hopes I have are that with a tour the band again choose great band(s) to tour with that fans might appreciate, Daylight Dies and/or Forest Stream or similar would again be excellent ;), although to be fair I would be willing to sit through hours of rap muzik if it led to Katatonia...but an example would be the last Opeth tour with Extol, this support obviously didn't please many Opeth fans including myself because they were extreme bollox and obviously didn't belong on a tour with Opeth whilst Katatonia and Forest Stream, now THAT is a memorable gig, and it fits (obviously the band's don't have to be exactly the same style, I meant FS and Katatonia are very different band's now, but you just didn't even think Extol had a right to be there)...if need's be just don't have a support at all and play for hours :D.

The only other thing that would completely and utterly make my dreams in life would be if they played an October Tide song (*hint* or maybe included one in the medley? *nudge*), but I think that's dreaming a bit too much :p...

I wonder if the band have ever considered doing a show like Opeth did on the Lamentations DVD, like playing a bunch of older stuff from before Last Fair Deal or something and then a bunch of new stuff, or a whole of one album or something similar...it's really cool that they're playing around with the live setup with medley's and joining other band's for covers etc. anyway and basically, when they tour next I WILL make it to one, if not five gigs!!!

Wow that was a fucking rant...but do you think they might be actually playing a bunch of old songs in their entirety, since the site says they'll play the kick ass bits, and there aren't any bits that don't kick ass! :p

Amazing... Completely amazing! I like Forest Stream, and seeing those three songs live would have been beyond awesome... So did anyone tape this, either video or audio?

Blakkheim said:

there's plenty of reasons, but one being that playing one entire song from each album (especially if u include the mini cd's) would steal too much playingtime from the rest of important songs in the set. Next time we'll play, it's time to focus on the brand new material off the new album and in between those, also try the remaining songs from discouraged ones - viva emptiness we havent ever considered playing live nor rehearsed.

from the pre-brave murder day period, a medley of the highlights is a fair move and should be just as exciting for us to play as for u to hear...

I think the medley idea is awesome......I dont think you could possibly please everyone with a couple old songs....since peoples Favs differ quite a bit.....and so a bit of many I think is better than all of 2....GREAT IDEA....

Please Anders.......if you could just promise us in the U.S. that you are coming here....we could then be able to sleep at night....
ROKK

Id love to hear "day" live and some of the B-side stuff, "help me dissapear", "sulfur".
But, I love it all, so itll all sound great to me. I would have loved to have seen that Forest Stream/Katatonia performance. It is a rare priviledge

Anthony said:
Heh, this "some assholes" came to hear KATATONIA and was forced to hear bad clones of MyDyingBride. Your feeling of shame is normal with such music.

I am still in some kind of oblivion from the concert though...

I thought you came to LISTEN TO Katatonia. And what godamn made you stay while we were playing? Who the fuck forced you? I have no other explanation except for - our shameful music did. Bad clone of My Dying Bride... yup, never thought they were playing black metal. Jeer.
That's what all famous bands should be afraid of. No matter what you play and how you play - every time there are phrenetics who have orgasms due to just seeing their favs on stage. Well the smallest pain in this case will be giving a spin to the CDs while relaxing on stage in comfortable arm-chairs. Unfuckingbelievable.

if u guys don´t stop fighting i will be forced to take u on a roadtrip: st.petersburg - moscow....100 times, and by bus! here is the tricky part: u have to be absloute shit drunk on the tripp to moscow and totaly hung over on the way back st.petersburg....oh, and Opeth rules!

Blakkheim said:

maybe we could start a poll "vote the songs katatonia should play live"as on the Bloodbath board...

a medley of highlights...yes, that would be also cool!
Of course you have to dedicate more time to the new songs (which I´m sure will rokk!), but we can never have enough of katatonia, so we want you to play many many songs and do a very very long gig!!! :p

ronnie (.com).....?? why .com? ok I should stop here...but ha, I was right thinking that it was his birthday!

Daniel L. said:
if u guys don´t stop fighting i will be forced to take u on a roadtrip: st.petersburg - moscow....100 times, and by bus! here is the tricky part: u have to be absloute shit drunk on the tripp to moscow and totaly hung over on the way back st.petersburg....oh, and Opeth rules!

Sounds good to me! Sign me up!
ps: forest stream rules! Mel Kor :headbang: