Stabbing the Drama

i'll give props to the mix for being unique, but i'm not really a fan of it.

i don't like the snare at all, it lacks presence and low end punch. and that guitar tone just keeps bugging me no matter how long i'm listening and trying to get used to it. the album lacks overall punch.

it's not all that bad really but i can't see why people are putting it on the "ultimate mix" pedestal

+1

can't get enough of "the panic broadcast" though (both production wise and musically)

'The Panic Broadcast' has one of the most awkward and uncomfortable recorded guitar tones I've heard in a modern production. Actually makes STD sound dull, which is quite a feat. The overall balancing on STD is just way superior to boot, IMO.

'Sounds of a Playground Falling' is pretty interesting. It feels quite intentional, for it to sound that way. It has potential for hugeness, but lacks a little sumthin, sumthin. Huddle up, coz you're only ever going to hear me say this a few times in my entire life: I feel that the guitars are too dull to work in a metal context.... o_O

'The Panic Broadcast' sounds like mixed someone in this forum. It still good but man..this is done by Bogren whose alias - mr. Greatest Mix Ever

I actually like it. Sounds huge and beefy nice kick and the snare sounds natural ( but i bet i isn't) Kind of bad guitar sound but it works in the mix.

I hear ya. I think the biggest offenders IMO are the guitars and the toms/ snare. Really disliking them for a fair few reasons. But overall it's an interesting mix that's for sure

So many guys on this forum have a way at looking at mixes where it's either good or bad. Not saying its a bad thing, but I think it's important to be able to appreciate all kinds of mixes (especially when the weird ones make them unique). Having slightly 'odd' elements in a mix is what gives each mix different characters, it would be dull to have 'perfect' guitars and drums every time.

Listening to TPB is really fatiguing to my ears. Can't listen to it for more than 15 minutes. But STD is just awesome, I don't ever get tired of listening to it, which rarely happened before for me with other mixes.

Another mix I'd like to throw in for discussion: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine. I think the production just perfectly fits the music and style. Has some nice low-end too and really dictates being heard LOUD. Can listen to this record over and over again and don't ever get tired of it.

Yay, I was a bit afraid to mention it haha :D But really, if I was asked what I would want to be changed in there (sound-wise), I would simply reply: nothing, it just fits perfectly. And I did choose this one intentionally, because it's not something like a classic or whatsoever. Well, another example: Pagans Mind - God's Equation (don't know how well-known they are in different parts of the world, but I'll give it a try...). If I directly compare it to other modern records, it somehow sounds a bit dull in some places and it has some weird spike somewhere around 800Hz, but after my ears are accustomed to the sound, it's just fucking awesome how every element and effect can be perceived that clearly and how it's overall sounding. But well, maybe it's just my personal taste...

I love The Panic Broadcast, both for it's music and it's production. I'll agree that the guitars aren't the best guitars ever recorded, but the drums sound amazing.

... and they're real!
But no, I don't dig the guitar sound on the last three Soilwork albums. I'd love to hear Soilwork produced by Tue Madsen!

and what do you think about the latest trivium, "in waves"? i'm hooked with that guitar sound!
For some reason I find it annoying to listen to after a while. It's like there's just too much going on, the 'take-off' on Forsake not the dream is a good example. That part is pretty chaotic musically, but I think the mix makes it worse.

Anyone heard Times of Grace (Adam D) - Hymn of a broken man? Holy shit the drums sound good.

... and they're real!

Yep! Jens told me that all the drum ambience on the album is the stereo C12 pair which were used as room mics while tracking. No digital reverberation whatsoever, which makes it even more impressive, since the drums sound amazing!

STD is an amazing production period.

But this is what got me into Soilwork and I think it sounds killer too

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWGhCYSMPZE&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJxcqhH9mE8&feature=related[/ame]

Definitely sounds more old school though, not the same kind of mix. Still sounds killer as fuck, I really dig the guitars (they have way too much high mids to fit in a "modern" mix though) and snare on this album.

Funny, this is the only Soilwork record I have never owned and heard very little of even though I have all the others and am a fan since Chainheart Machine. I can never find this fucker anywhere in Austin. "just get it online"...well I am a luddite and the strange beeping noises from this google box frighten and confuse me. Stewardess, get me anuzer drink!