Stabbing the Drama

"Nerve" is the first Soilwork song I'd ever heard and what turned me onto them in the first place. That intro riff/chug is just disgusting.

Also, they love the dotted quarter phrasing on this album. There's a dotted quarter riff somewhere in almost every track?!

Title track makes my hair stand up everytime too. :headbang:

Bass - Mindprint (that big box).
Kick - M88
Gutiars - TLM193

Transient designer on kick, toms and snare.....

...lots of ambient drum sound.

Give me an example (track + minute and seconds) if you can, because I am not quite sure I am getting what you are saying

Title track starting around 28 seconds- what I would call the verse riff. The guitars are playing the same "ticka-ticka" rhythm but the phrasing causes them to fall on consecutive dotted quarter notes until they pull the riff back around in time with the drums after a couple of bars. Nah meen? The album is covered with that kind of thing.

I've been a big fan of Bergstrand ever since I first heard "Sountrack To Your Escape". Everything said in the op, I could say about that one. Except that the guitar tone is fucking awesome, even on it's own.

Stabbing the Drama is one of the albums that makes me question over and over again if techniques like sound replacer and these things isn't making bad to our capability to make some decisions in a mix. I mean, why can't we do the same thing: makes a "bad sound" to fit so good in a mix??? Why we have always to replace to a good one???

To me, the only good part of the production is the palm-muted chugga riffing / low-end treatment. Everything else sounds like fizz to me. Maybe a badass low-end makes up for nasty guitars?

Have to necrobump this thread SORRY! But after having this album running on repeat a lot lately (thanks to my damn guitarist*... On Opals none the less... My god it's such a great fucking album.
The funny thing is that the fizzy guitars NEED to be there just as much as the super low bass. It almost serves to extend the mix further. I try to imagine the guitars being less fizzy, and I can immediately imagine it affecting the overall aggression and character the mix has. I'm really glad a mix like this exists so i can listen to it and just go... "Half these guys would never use that guitar tone/ kick blah blah" and yet.. it's still one of THE best mixes I've heard, regardless of genre.

Indeed impressive but there's always one thing bothering me : the first guitar riff has no fucking balls because there is a buildup and then that boring riff that sounds way too dry with those drums ! It's all perfect in the chorus but it's so separated that any part without a wall of sound is weak as a result imo

It's a very unusual mix indeed

Absolutely love this album... its up there with my favourites...

Crestfallen is a stand out track for me...

+1 on the necrobumpage...

i'm impressed by the production of "Natural born chaos".
Just love everything, especially the guitars, and drums (and songwriting, which is four times better than STD); impressive how devin townsend pulled out a production so much better than his own works'.
the mids and bass frequencies are just powerful, and same for "dead heart in a dead world" of nevermore, which on the attack of "the heart collector" feels like a punch in the stomach, and it's my favourite Sneap production :D
btw, did you hear the last In Flames album? guitars are purposedly lower and less aggressive than before, but the bass and drum sound is really awesome! (as an overall metal mix, anyway, the already mentioned soundtrack to your escape is even better!)

^ I'm loving the latest in flames! Probably my favorite mix that has came out in the past few years. I love how dark the guitars are, and how low they sit in the mix. It really gives lots of space for the drums and vocals to breathe, but you can still hear the definition and articulation of the riffs. I've been referencing it quite extensively. I honestly think it i's on par with stabbing the drama.

As for stabbing the drama, I'm still infatuated with it. From the distance is probably one of my favorite songs ever.

i'll give props to the mix for being unique, but i'm not really a fan of it.

i don't like the snare at all, it lacks presence and low end punch. and that guitar tone just keeps bugging me no matter how long i'm listening and trying to get used to it. the album lacks overall punch.

it's not all that bad really but i can't see why people are putting it on the "ultimate mix" pedestal