Star Opeth's work

Risquit said:
Strange, most people like Damnation better than Deliverance.

i dont, i think deliverance is a fantastic album, one of their best. Don't see why people dislike it so much :ill:

^yeah those two tracks are pretty awesome but i also like a fair judgment too for that arpeggio bit and the solo. Since thats three out of 5 (real) tracks that are uberawesome that leaves two that are just plain awesome.

The tone of damnation JUST misses the mark for me

i think so :D I dont know its just a little bit too overproduced....it's odd, its as though it isn't given space. The melodies are excellent but the "crystal" production is too different to the personal music that it clashes too much. Basically the production is souless but the music is beautiful so it never quite manages to work :( i wish it did though

orchid - 4/5
Morningrise - 3/5
MAYH - 5/5
Still Life - 5/5
Blackwater Park - 5/5
Deliverance 3/5
Damnation 3/5
Lamentations - 4/5

hmmmm........i find it hard to articulate these sorts of things and i just listened to "to rid the disease" and "hope leaves" and i think its that the sound is too uniform, it sounds fairly "hollow". The sound worked with deliverance because of the dynamic contrasts between loud soft and distortion / nondistortion but with damnation the production doesn't allow the dynamics to come through. I find 'to rid the disease" thoroughly frustrating because when it goes major key it obviously needs to be slightly different but it isn't. Too often in damnation to achieve the dynamics the voice is altered.

Orchid 9/10
Morningriise 8/10
MAHY 6/10
Still Life 9/10
Blackwaterpark 8/10
Deliverance 7/10
Damnation 6/10

Thonolan said:
My Arms Your Hearse - didn't hear it yet :oops:

yes, you should either hear that album or commit suicide...soon.

orchid - 3/5
morningrise - 3.5/5
mayh - 4.5/5
still life - 5/5
bwp - 4.5/5
deliverance - 4/5
damnation - 4.5/5

orc - 4/5
morning - 5/5
mayh - 4.5/5
still life - 5/5 (their best imo and one of the best albums ever made)
bwp - 3.5/5 (funeral port/dirge get a little iffy in some parts but still better than most albums released)
deliverance - 4/5
damn - 4/5

Orchid 4/5
Morningrise 4/5
My Arms 5/5
Still Life 5/5
Blackwater Park 4/5
Deliverance 3/5
Damnation 2/5
Lamentations 1/5

Well I don't care for Damnation and that makes up half the performance. That combined with the fact that the first four albums aren't represented, makes it a weak live album. And yes I know they legally couldn't do it, but the fact remains they should be on there.

Orchid - 3/5
Morningrise - 3/5
MAYH - 4/5
Still Life - 4/5
BWP - 5/5
Deliverance - 5/5
Damnation - 5/5
Lamentations 5/5
Ghost Reveries - N/A (TGC 5/5)