Started working at a new studio, have some problems with people working there.

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So, I started working on the new studio i talked about on a post a few weeks ago. I was recording guy who was doing some Scorpions covers and everything was going great. He hired a couple musicians to record keyboards and acoustic guitars. The guitar player works there as a music teacher and since the first time i met him, I expected to have problems with him. He´s a very experienced guitar player but also a very arrogant person.

Ok, so we recorded some stuff, and I didnt record the guitars (the other guy did), and when i came to mix, i noticed some guitars were not tuned correctly. I decided not to tell anybody, find a vst chorus plug in and use it. I used on a couple of songs and it worked perfectly. My decision to not tell anyone (the guy who´s recording, the studio onwer or the guitarist/music teacher) was exactly due to the arrogancy of this guy. I knew he wouldnt accept my opinion, and since i am new there, the onwer could just listen to him (he already did some things like this on a few ocasions).

After some time, we were mixing another song and the teach came in, and started making faces to the mix, which was sounding very good to everyone but him. He asked why one of his acoustics was so quiet and i responded that it was out of time - and it was clearly. He asked me to play it again and started laughing, claiming that my musicallity was ´weird´. I responded it WAS out of time, and clearly, so he arrogantly answered me the same thing, and completed telling me to take some lessons with him. Ok, I am not a very good guitar player at all, and he´s much more experienced than me, but if there´s one thing i am good at it is timing and tuning. If it was such an obvious thing and easy to anyone that´s good a the instrument, there would be no one like me to record those morons. You may ask why i didnt edit it before, and i say that we didnt have time : 5 songs with no arrangements, recording ,mixing AND mastering in 3 days.

I answered politely " Ok, so i go to your class and i will also teach you how to tune a guitar, as we needed to fix your out of tune guitars on a couple of songs" . He talked some shit and later i apologized for the guy recording.

When i finished my work, i went to talk to the onwer and found the mother fucker there talking to him. So, what do you think, should i go and talk to my boss about this incident or just forget and move on ?

Ivan

Do it. Tell him your side. If the boss isn't an idiot then he probably knows what you are talking about already. If they have a guy like that around, there has bound to be some issues with this before.

Yeah, I'd say give your side of the story too. For a music teacher to not know/give two shits about timing and tuning is just plain whacko. Obviously he shouldn't be working as a teacher there if he doesn't understand shit like that.

At the end of the day, as long as you're not patronizing or badmouthing the guy for no reason, then your boss should respect your honesty. Just explain what happened, play him clips of said bad timing/tuning if you can, and explain that you were trying to do what was best for the mix, without hurting anyones feelings and the guy stepped out of line. He might just turn around and say "yeah, I know he's a cock, just ignore him".

By the way, how did that mix end up, did you bring up the badly timed acoustic, or leave it down?

By the way, how did that mix end up, did you bring up the badly timed acoustic, or leave it down?

I corrected the thing, because it was really annoying, but there are a lot of things that are not 100% in time, some annoying, some forgivable. The teach calls it ´improvisation´ :Smug: I will update my dictionary ...

I have nothing to add, great suggestions from both Unavoidable and Stee, all I can say is I sympathize Ivan, because that sounds like a really rough situation! Good luck man!

Heres my suggestions, take them how you will...
1) get used to these sort of douche bags, sadly we all have to deal with em....
2) get GOOD at editing, and by that i mean become an alchemist, who can polish poo into gold

Good luck!

my bad, thought it was a typo but its not.

to the OP - That shit happens at any job that deals with people, expect them to be assholes, most people are, I am.
Be happy you are making a living in the music industry and not flipping burgers, unclogging toilets, or answering phones for a living.

If your boss makes money in this business -and hires actual staff- he should be able to pick out a fraud. Talk to him. And practice patience, this won't be the last mentalcase you have to work with.

Well, i talked to my boss and he was cool with it. Said this behavior (the guy's) was not his natural behavior and some problem with his daughter may have caused his arrogancy. To me this is not an excuse as I have my own bunch of problems and I always try not to be a prick. Since my boss isn't a musician, he didnt care much about the tuning problems or the out of time notes - he didnt even ask me to show him. So this is something me and the other guy who's working there will have to learn how to deal, as we'll have to deal with asshole musicians that won't accept any critiques. At least he will buy a friggin'tuner for the studio now !

I dont know, i dont have problem with people criticizing my work. I just feel it is wrong to not accept your own mistakes and putting blames on someone else's work, and even then, if YOU're paying. This mofo was hired to do some lines for an voice-oriented song and he was acting like his badly played guitars were the main instrument. We ended up finding a bunch of worse mistakes, totally un-pro stuff.

I think i will need to learn some Segal moves :lol: