Starting Drum Programing - Total Newb

I agree, you'll definitely have to upgrade the soundcard to do this kind of thing. The M-Audio suggestion is perfect. Echo also makes some good and affordable stuff.
I think Moonlapse covered everything with the Battery setup; that was better than I ever could have explained it. Good luck!!

Mendel said:
for drums drumkit from hell ( yeah DFH ) is really, really good.
i use dfh2 ( the worst of them all ) but it kicks ass

How is DFH2 the worst of them all? It's just a cut down version of Superior, it's way better than the original DFH, it just demands some skills from the user...

Try a Zoom Rhythm trak 223!!!

I used the 123 version for years and i recently upgraded to the 223, which allow me to mix the various kit pieces and equalize them separately.

If you play drums a little you'll be able in no time to compose your own patterns and playing on them without dropping a beat and for hours!!!
Great also for recording stuff.

I find the Zoom Rhythmtrak more ergonomic and easy to play by tapping instead of the Alesis. Try one!!! I think it's a really good device and it doesn't cost much!!!

Hope I've been useful.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm glad I didn't just jump on an SB.

*edit* Scratch that previous post, I've been talking with Kazrog on AIM, and am going for an M-audio firewire audiophile.

Impy said:
How is DFH2 the worst of them all? It's just a cut down version of Superior, it's way better than the original DFH, it just demands some skills from the user...

It is not the sample quality of dfh2 that sucks (they are great), but the KOMPAKT program it comes with and the layout of the samples in the velocity field. Several of the premade kits are fucked up with samples placed incorrectly or missing...and you can't fix this in KOMPAKT. Couple this with a meager user manual, and just about zero tech support and you can pretty much safely say DFH2 is craptacular compared to DFHSuperior.

Fortunetly, I got Kontakt 2....