Starting recording buisness how much should I charge

deftones769

Aug 19, 2011
I'm going to be starting my own recording buisness from home how much do u recon I should charge for bands or who Eva wants to record

$25 a song , then raise the price gradually as you gain more notoriety .

Man.. How in the world would you accept to work about 20-30hours on a song for 25$?

Minimum wage /hour at least.. Its work ! Work should get paid!

Man.. How in the world would you accept to work about 20-30hours on a song for 25$?

^He's STARTING a business. I'm pretty sure he won't spend 30 hours mixing one song to start. Having bands to record is more important than making your prices towards the top of the limit.

^He's STARTING a business. I'm pretty sure he won't spend 30 hours mixing one song to start. Having bands to record is more important than making your prices towards the top of the limit.

yeah I totaly understand he's starting but man...maybe it's just me but when I started I was probably not mixing for 20-30hours.. but I was working my ass off to push my limits to be satisfied.. if someone was paying me 25$... I'd just make it sound like 25$ haha

first, dont start a business if you cant back it with skill, i don't know if you have experience but if not hold off on starting a business, record locally for free if you have to until you are comfortable to charge for your services, 25$ is ridiculous, you need to keep in mind not only your time is at stake, a business means business license (an 800$ LLC fee a year), plus taxes. then you have to think about gear upgrades etc.

if you want to be taken seriously by your clients charge them what your worth.

how efficient are you at tracking a band, are you charging per song or per hour? etc.

im no pro, but i charge 250 as on now and will be charging 400$ per song once my new facility is completed.