Starting to consider a computer upgrade

~BURNY~

Apr 20, 2005
What's hot?

I'd like to build a new PC from ground up.

My budget is limited to 1000 euros max.

Not really interested in overclocking (mostly cause I don't know jack shit about it).

I'm after maximum stability and good performances off course.

I7 2600 seems like a good starting point. Or is it ?

Yeah dude get a good processor and an ass load of ram and you are basically set. In my case I have an i7 3.4Ghz paired with 16gb of ram. Corsair if I remember. Brand isn't an issue really. Motherboard is an asus. Can't remember specific model but I built my computer for around a grand. And honestly even that is a little excessive for my current needs but it's always good to have the extra horsepower.

Just realized you asked about the 2600 which is what I have and the answer is yes it's a great choice. You can go for an i5 too. The only significant difference between the two if I remember correctly, is that the i7 supports multi-threading which essentially simulates cores and the i5 doesn't. So instead of the i7 showing up in windows as a quad core it will show up as an 8 core processor. And as it stands there isn't a whole lot of programs out there that make any/good use of multi threading at the moment. So just do your research and see which one sounds more suitable for your needs.

Besides a good multicore processor, i would recommend they fastest hard drive you can find as well as a soild state drive to install your programs/operating system. Then you will be cruizin.

A quad-core processor with around 3ghz of juice should be enough for whatever you need to do. There is little advantage to AMD/Intel other than price/bargains. 4-6GB of ram out to be enough, and like KBMoser said, get a fast drive, no less than 7200rpm, and maybe an SSD if you're up for it. 10K RPM 1TB drive + 160GB SSD = hot butter.

Initial reports on Ivybridge are saying it's a flop... higher heat, less overclocking potential... kinda disappointing... I'm still using a Q6600 and have been wanting to upgrade. Looks like I might have to try to get a cheap 2600K or just wait until next year and get Haswell...

So...
How about this configuration:

IntelCore i7 3770K (gonna use my current Noctua Cooler)
MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard (would have preferred asus but too expensive)
8 GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 ram
128 Gb Samsung SSD (OS)
2 Tb Seagate Barracuda Green HD (data)
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Cooler Master Silencio case
650w Cooler Master GX psu

about 1080 euros...