I'm finally buying a Mac! Need some advice.

You're right. Fortunately, for any other DAW not supporting AU plugins, any convolution-type plugin set the right way should do fine too. I forgot how, but it's pretty simple to do...

Congrats about the steady workload, Erik. It's a good milestone.

I would say that your priority should be in getting room treatment and monitoring sorted, above all. But you mix a lot on headphones, don't you? So it may be a moot point unless you're willing to change over.

As far as the computer system goes, it seems extremely expensive to me, hardware wise. Even here in Oz you can get a PC for half that with hardware that still smokes it. Though I suppose that's the price of admission to turtleneckville.

The Duet is probably fine for your workflow. Alternatively you can look at something a bit more purpose-built for mixing like the Benchmark DAC-1 to feed your monitors off.

Erik Monsonis said:
and I don't mind paying more cash for the Apple logo (that to me it means reliability, and the warranty of a well built computer, with top components and best hardware/software integration).

This pretty much sums up my experience with Apple for almost 10 years now.

Macs allocate memory better than PC's as well. I've had mine for 2 years and only have had to force kill a program ONCE! Whereas, every windows based PC I've ever owned or built, I always have to restart or force shutdown almost on a weekly basis for dumb shit.

On the mac tho... Just be sure to upgrade ram to max out how much it can handle and you'll be all good to go :)

I'll vouch for how well a Mac allocates memory. I've not done any recording work yet, but just from general usage, my girlfriend's Macbook Pro (which I'm on now) equipped with 4GB RAM operates 2-5x faster than my Dell with the same amount of RAM. It's glorious! About to pick up a Pro of my own to start building my recording setup, too! I'm also gonna be working on Reaper, and will probably start out with a similar setup for some basic tracking.