I'm finally buying a Mac! Need some advice.

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
Hi everyone!! :D

This few last weeks have been awesome for my career, as I've got no more booking time available until March 2012. That means I'm starting to have a solid income every month.

That led me to the conclusion that as I'm starting to charge prices that aren't in the amateur range anymore, I should ditch all the bedroom warrior gear and get myself a good professional workstation.

Therefore I'd like to ask you guys about this setup, if you think I should go for other gear or past experiences, etc...

COMPUTER:

I'm thinking about one of the new 27" iMac computers:

- Intel Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz
- 8GB SDRAM DDR3 1333MHz
- 1TB HDD 7200RPM
- AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
- 4 USB 2.0 ports (+2 more in the keyboard, for pen drives, ilok and stuff)
- 1 Firewire 800 port
- 2 Thunderbolt ports
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet port

That would be 2400€, and that's the top limit I could spend on a computer. There's more stuff to be bought. My actual setup is:

- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.10GHz
- 3GB SDRAM DDR2 333Mhz
- 256GB HDD 5400RPM
- Nvidia GForce 8400M GS 256Mb DDR2
- 3 USB 2.0 Ports
- 1 Firewire mini port
- 1 Ethernet port

And totally sucks :lol:

INTERFACE

Now I have a Line6 Toneport UX1, that was awesome for a beginner, but the mic preamps and DI quality is horrible, the knobs are noisy and the volume knob is broken, so I have to set it to max all the time to get any sound.

So after some research I want to get this:

- Saffire Pro 24 DSP

I don't need multiple I/O because I only offer mixing services, so no need to track anything (maybe some guitars/bass or vocals for my own band). I also don't plan on offering tracking services, ever.
However I'd like to get a good interface with solid drivers, nice mic pre's and decent converters. As you can see I'm a bit tight on the budget already, so I couldn't go for a Metric Halo :lol:

Maybe I should go for an Apogee Duet 2? Looks a bit too limited and oriented for amateur recordings... Is it any good?

What else is out there to be really considered for my situation?

Thanks for reading!!
/Erik

wow, I wasn't expecting that! As I said it looks a bit like a toy :lol:
I will then consider it as a final option!
Thanks Adam!

BTW: I was a Mac hater until I visited an Apple Store... I had to call one of the employees to ask him for a mop to clean my drool :lol:

Those iMac's are great... I have one and absolutely love it. I would also vote for you to get the Apogee Duet 2. Even the 1 input lower model one is great (I believe that's what Ola has?)

Just be prepared that most of those free plugins you're used to using won't work on a mac though. :lol: But, I've gotten used to it, and I'm grateful for the ported mac versions from Lepou, Recabinet, LAConvolver, etc.

See this thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/697276-hackintosh-builds-audio.html

If you are somewhat computer savvy, you could spend a lot less and have more money to spend on outboard/mics/whatever and have a computer that is equally powerful and just as stable as a real mac.

Also, I have an original Duet and it's great. The preamps and converters are top notch for the price, and you can reamp directly out of it without a reamp box.

I recently switched to a current 17in macbook pro, and it's really worth it, damn. It's the price of 2 computers, but I would prefer it over those 2 computers. So you'll be really good with your imac. I don't even know what to do of my 2.2Ghz, so with 3.4...

I personnaly even bought a duet (first version), it should arrive tomorrow. So go with the Duet 2, everyone says its converters are top notch, you are actually paying that price for 2 in/ 4 so obviously they made them at the "apogee" level. Also, it's fully integrated in the core audio system I hear, so it's the go-to solution before any really top notch interface.

If you are used to the UX1, go with the duet ! If you need more inputs (translation : if you need to be able to record a drumset) you'll need something else, otherwise on mac there is no best solution unless you wanna spend way more.

If you have the money, I wouldn't go the hackintosh route to be honest. It may work well but there's a moment when you need a no-brainer quality, and I recently discovered mac computers are not only a trend, they inherently are well designed, and the apple support is a plus when you are a pro and need your computer fixed quickly the day when a band comes to record and it won't start. So I'm now happy to pay more a computer for that.
You will need a few days to get used to all the Vst that don't work on mac. I totally changed the free synths I used, and still need a few replacements (like GClip, or a few effects), not to mention the guitar amp vsts that are rare (but we have now a few interesting ones) cause I know you rely on virtual amps in your productions (unless you have changed your workflow).

@arv : why can you reamp with a duet ? I wasn't even aware of that, can you tell us about it, do you have control on the out impedance ? It would be awesome. Not that I need it, but i would love to know I could do it.

Oh and, for god's sake : buy a fucking DI box ! Even compared to my profire hiZ input, it was day and night !

So for shit and giggles : record your guitar and bass through the UX1, and then through a Di box > Apoge duet. I promise epic improvement !

@arv : why can you reamp with a duet ? I wasn't even aware of that, can you tell us about it, do you have control on the out impedance ? It would be awesome. Not that I need it, but i would love to know I could do it.

In the Maestro control, you can switch the output from "line out" to "instrument amp"

Thanks guys!

Well, the truth is I have absolutely no problems with money, but I know myself too well, and I'd spend 4,000€ just on the computer alone, and I'd get something like the SSL Nucelus for another 4,000€ and a pair of Opals, full room treatment, and what not... The thing is I want to be able to buy stuff step-wise with the money I earn with mixing, I don't want to put my hands on my savings :lol:. I can, however, add some more money if needed or if it's really worth it.

I rely on ampsims for about 50% of my productions, so yeah, I still need them (LeCto is more than enough for me) although I own POD Farm plugin, so I got most of the ground already covered. I will need a replacement for LeCab BTW.

So Apogee Duet 2 is winning at the moment, despite the toy-like appearance looks like it has good components and rock-solid drivers. BTW It has an instrument input as well... would you suggest to add a DI box to the chain also?? If so, which one would you recommend?

Cheers!

I don't think you need more than this iMac. Unless you wanna produce the next hollywood VSTi based orchestration, you already have more than enough for a few years ahead of you ! From a core2duo, your sessions will pass from 80% to 20/25 at most :) if not less.

With pod farm plugin too, you're set I think.

I've heard the apogee doesn't feel like a toy (how can you seriously say that coming from an UX1 :lol: )

I would totally suggest a dedicated DiBox. I'm sure even over the apogee HiZ input, it would be an improvement. I have made a shootout between the Type 85 countryman, and the profire, and it was surprising. So don't think, buy a used type 85 (it's build like a tank so no need for a new one). And sell later if you don't hear an improvement.

If you go mac, dont waste good money on somehow "semi-pro" interfaces.

I would go metric halo, prism, rme

for example the metric halo uln2 would be perfect for what you need.

It comes with 2 absolutly top-of-the-line preamps (think millenia) and top notch ad and da conversation.

That would be something you could use for a lifetime and never think about buying the next better thing....

the new imacs are great!!! the displays alone are worth 1k and the other stuff would be also around 1k, so you only pay 400€ for the apple-name :)

Upgrading from my old PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 to a 27" iMac with quad i7 is one of the best decisions, and investments, I have ever made. Going to get tons of use out of it for years to come, plus the screen is absolutely awesome :)

Yeah, I'm definitely getting the iMac, I have absolutely no idea about advanced computing, so, no builds for me, and I don't mind paying more cash for the Apple logo (that to me it means reliability, and the warranty of a well built computer, with top components and best hardware/software integration). The Mac Pro's are a bit too much for my needs and my pocket, so I'm not even considering them.

About the Apogee Duet 2 I think I'm gonna give it a try, and if I consider I need something better I'll look into the higher end (MH, RME...).

Cheers! ;)

I have a Duet and while I think it's great I don't recommend it if you're only going to be mixing.
Well I was going to recommend something like a Mini Dac but it looks like they don't even sell it anymore. And the new version of the Duet has 4 outputs which is really cool if you need to run backing tracks for a live show.
I say go for it.

Edit: The reason for not initially recommending the Duet was that it has unbalanced outputs but I'm reading about the new Duet and see that they now have balanced outputs. Even more reasons to get it and now I see why the Mini Dac is no more.