Switching to the dark side (apple). Need your advice.

Okay so it calculates (with the add of Hi-res option, the apple remote, and a neoprene sleeve) : 1619€ + 317€(tva) = 1936€. So 1619€ when I'll claim back my VAT is okay for me.

I'll put 4Gb more when I have a little cash for it. About the 7200, since it would involve re-installing macos, I wanna know : is it easy to reinstall macos ? is there a way to do it like an iphone (making a copy of the whole system) ? Or should I stay with the stock one until I really need a faster one (cause I rarely record more than a few tracks at once for the moment). Cause if no, I may buy quickly a 7200rpm to do it ASAP before it's so full it becomes a hassle. What would be a good choice ? I haven't followed laptop components for ages.

Please go look at the gloss/matte screens for yourself. People are sheep, and accept what they're given. Having worked in retail for over 4 years selling laptops specifically, I know that I personally prefer the matte screen, for colour accuracy.

I feel that gloss screens tend to oversaturate images and have issues with glare. I watched as our supply of matte-based laptops dwindled, people complained and eventually gave up -- as it was too difficult to get something otherwise. Apple did the same, but now offer the matte option - why?

My next laptop will be a 17" MBP with Matte option, no doubt. The only 'plus' for these gloss screens (current I'm on a 13" MBP), is that the glassy covering acts as a form of protection against fingerprints (easy to clean) and small dents. The matte are definitely softer, in terms of surface.

My previous laptop (a waste of money ASUS) was glossy, and my current PC screen is matte. I can see the improvement but the glossy screen was never a pb for me (as long as luminosity is set to high which i like) and I don't think i'll spend 50 extra euros for that. But thanks for the input !

Installing mac osx is extremely easy. It's just a matter of inserting the installation dvd and holding c (I think) while booting up the system and clicking through the installer options. The only thing you'll have to do is to format the new harddrive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) fileformat for it to use as a system disk (you can also connect regular fat32 or ntfs harddrives to your mac).

Yeah I imagine it's pretty easy (windows is now pretty easy too) but i was implying "installing macos on a new harddrive while quickly having it all set up like previously including the files" but I guess if it takes me only 1 to 2 hours all included (softwares + drivers etc) on my PC it shouldn't take much time on macos !

Now I get it. Yes it goes pretty fast. Usually takes me an hour to install and configure all my apps.

Okay :) So I know if ever I feel a need for a faster HD I can change it without too much hassle.

I'll give myself until monday before hitting the buy button but I think i'm convinced !

Okay so last version is that I'll certainly have the budget for the boosted 15' with a little help from my father who is getting some unexpected money, (1Gb of videocard / 750 Gb / 2.2Ghz) and as the 17'' is not so far in term of price cause then the difference is pretty much only the full HD screen, he said he may help me for a 17'.

The goal would be, then, that if it fits me totally, I use only the laptop, and then sell my PC tower, so that in the end it costs me like a 15in and becomes a mobile desktop replacement. And also that it last a few years, which means "a few years until I have a good salary so that it is not a problem anymore"

I don't know yet what to do, but it's nice to know I have all the possibilities.

Another option would be a used (almost not used) one with 8GB of RAM + SSD 120Go OCZ for 2400 with an invoice (and therefore TVA detail). Not bad either if ever my refurb one disappears.

And right now... Surprise, on the local refurb apple site there is one 2011 17in for 2099€, or 1755 tax free... I think I found my winner !

Should I go hit the buy button ?

EDIT: should I be afraid this one is 400€ less than the normal price, but that it's the only computer who gets such a discount on the refurb ? Another one (with 2.3Ghz option) is 2.379,00 € which is still pretty cool (less for more). Anyway there are only 17 inches refurbed MBP.

EDIT 2 : seems like the other ones are exepensive because they are the 2010 models but still are listed at the original refurbed price, that's why they are expensive. The only options are my 2.2ghz at 2100, and the 2.3 at 2400. The others are just there cause nobody bought them before the 2011 kicked in.

Ok I'm buying a refurbed 2011 17, following mickrich and Brett's advice, cause it's the same price as a new boosted 15in, and I already found a buyer for my current PC, screen. I'll upgrade it later manually since it's allowed by Apple.

For its price, I could resell it and almost lose no money if ever there's a problem.

I'll certainly look for the bagpack later as well, cause my mother told me she knows someone who has it and it seems pretty handy, but until then my current bag will be enough.

I'm also planning to buy an apogee duet since it's easy to find one cause of the Duet 2. I'll think of selling my profire 2626 as well, but may keep it for multitrack purposes.